new here, so post of YYZ cover

cboggs

Hello,

I'm new here, came on to learn more about recording and maybe find
so people to work with, ..

so I'll start out by posting the 2nd attempt I made at recording my drums.
Personus firestudio project, .. digital reference mics, and Studio one.

I'd like to hear your thoughts, ..

YouTube - ‪YYZ‬‏

Curtis

Listened to the Rush tune...you have a real nice kit, it sounds excellent, and you appear to be a top notch drummer. If you ever want to colab on something hit me up. I have played drums for about 10 years, guitar/bass for about 17, and been mixing for nearly as long. Again very nice drumming.

and here was I think "should I ask the peeps around here to help me and record drum tracks for my just recorded song"?

And suddenly I ran into this.

You're amazing, I wanna ask you so bad to help me in my song but I fear you are too talented for me... lol

seriously now, you are a very talented drummer, good job there in those videos : )

Sorry, but to be honest, when I saw this was yet another thread about a cover of YYZ, I didn't click onto it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of RUSH, but I've heard just too many covers and most of them bad. Yours wasn't. You have real good skills. Your skins sounded good, but I personally would like to hear a lot more presence on your cymbals. They were sort of hiding in the back (and they appear to be real good cymbals, they should never hide).

Your whole kit and set up is very similar to mine (except for the upside down splash mounts, I have a thing about not mounting cymbals upside down, but it's all good).

Neil Peart usually has a stronger presence on his metal, so that's why I was missing it.

Wow,

Thank you all for the very kind words, ..

This was only my -3rd or 4th song I tried to record and mix, .. and I've learned a TON
on this web site since then. Mixing and mastering, recording, .. wow, I'm so hooked on learning.

I'm really learning about "stacking" the mix, where to place different parts of the kit in the mix, .. etc.
Rimshot I'm with you on the mix and getting the proper presence from the cymbals as well as the other voices.
I think you'll like some of my more recent mixes, ..
No upside down cymbals, just one Zil-Bell, ..

Being so hooked, .. I got a second FireStudio project for 16 tracks, a few Mic pre's, ..
so now I can mic up the kit properly, .. and have some extra to play with.

I would really LOVE to collaborate, and I play several styles, fusion ( grew up with Return to Forever etc )
Rock ( love breaking Benjamin etc ) , .. some metal but none of the fast stuff, .. even some good country.
BUT, .. I think i've got a little way to go learning the recording side.
I do feel like I've taken to it very well and progressed quickly.

Just so pleased to have found this web forum !!!

Ha, we posted the same cover, using the same mics :D

How do you like your digital references? I was pretty happy with them, but now I'm getting the itch to upgrade. Probably to Audix.

The Rush tour was awesome, huh? I just saw then last week in Phoenix.

Great job! I was really impressed! The recording sounded good! The snare may be a little too 'compressed'... let it air out a little.
Very nice!

Back