new drum set

ollie99

Hi
I'm looking for a drum set which has the standard 5 drums, hi hats, ride and crash.
I generally don't know a lot about drums but I'm not bad for someone who hasn't had lessons.
I will be using it for recording and live.
I think the budget is a maximum of £300 which I know isn't a lot but the drum kit we've had for the last 7 years was like that and wasn't bad so if anyone has any suggestions I would be very appreciative.
Thanks

At that price point they're all gonna be about the same. Just look for a complete used kit in good shape that has good cymbals.

ooo I'm not sure we have places like craigslist, definitely not as big as craigslist is in america. I don't really know how big it is but I see it said on the internet a lot. I'll see what I can find though thanks :)

Oh good there is a sight called gum tree which has quite a few things near me, do you have any tips to do with which brands to stay away from or anything?

Yeah, Sound Percussion isn't very good. CB, if those are still around, kinda suck. And modern Rogers kits are pretty junky. Old Rogers are awesome though. All the major brands - Pearl, Tama, Ludwig, Gretsch, Yamaha, Mapex, Sonor, PDP, etc in that price range will all be about the same and you'll do fine with any of them.

this one is an hour away, has quite a few cool extras but I'm just not sure about condition and I'm sure a better drummer could tell more from the pictures?
Pearl Export 5 piece drum kit black | Essex | Gumtree

Those would be fine. They're not great, but they'll work. Put new heads on it asap. The roto toms are lame as hell though. Lol. See if you can get it for less without those gay ass roto toms. I can't tell what the cymbals are like.

Those would be fine. They're not great, but they'll work. Put new heads on it asap. The roto toms are lame as hell though. Lol. See if you can get it for less without those gay ass roto toms. I can't tell what the cymbals are like.

haha I doubt he'll sell them with the roto toms, that's another problem, I don't know how to replace heads? It's possible I could pay my brothers old drum teacher to come in and change them for a fiver but how much will the new heads cost? and how long do you reckon it'd take?

Figure to spend about $100-125 (I don't know what that is in limey currency) for a set of new batter heads. It matters. You might be able to find a pack for those drum sizes for less. A Remo Pinstripe pack is pretty good and very common. Those heads are bashed and taped and probably sound like raw asshole. New heads all tuned up nicely will sound great. Figure an experienced drum tuner about an hour or so to replace and tune the new heads. Or you can try it yourself. Google it.

Figure to spend about $100-125 (I don't know what that is in limey currency) for a set of new batter heads. It matters. You might be able to find a pack for those drum sizes for less. A Remo Pinstripe pack is pretty good and very common. Those heads are bashed and taped and probably sound like raw asshole. New heads all tuned up nicely will sound great. Figure an experienced drum tuner about an hour or so to replace and tune the new heads. Or you can try it yourself. Google it.

hmm would be a lot easier to get one that has been reskinned recently like 1 or 2 that I saw

Gotta be a youtube video somewhere on how to install and tune drums.

I just changed all of my drum heads and thought about doing a video tutorial on it to go along with my drum sticky thing. But like most ideas i have, I got lazy and didn't bother.

There are so many youtube videos on changing heads though. Shoot I think Evans even has a series on how to do each drum.

okay thanks for your advice guys but my dad said he didn't want to spend money on a new kit so I'm just going to reskin them which I will watch lots of youtube videos on

plus in posting this thread I have actually discovered a good site in gumtree.com so I might check other stuff out on there in the future :)

Most stock new drum heads suck cock anyway. There are exceptions I'm sure, but most seem to be "meh we have to throw some in for initial use so here is some garbage heads to bang on."

Back