new drum muffling idea....

I especially like the completely anti-ergonomic tom and snare placements, high hat behind the throne, and the fact that he has his rack toms reversed from what would be a typical tom size progression. This guy must be very bendy.

Back in the late 60's (which right there gives you a clue) I painted a bunch of packing peanuts in florescent paint (which filled about 1/4 of my kick) and had a black light on the floor in front of the kick. - Actually we painted cymbal stands, mic stands, guitars, guitar straps - whatever we could ....... it was the 60's

I had to experiment to get the right amount for the level of muffling I wanted (which was a major pain - taking the head off, putting it back on, etc.) - but I actually got a decent sound - and everytime I hit the kick the multi colored peanuts would bouce and re-settle, creating a continuously changing psychedelic design.

It actually was rather cool at that time - but a pain in the ass anytime I wanted to change a drum head etc. (which was too often, since I broke waaaay too many heads back then - trying to play un-miced drums an competing with multi stacks of guitar & bass amps).

That particular phase only lasted a few months - or however long it took the acid to wear off (it's all a little unclear) ........ but it did create a "groovy" stage presence!

Back in the late 60's (which right there gives you a clue) I painted a bunch of packing peanuts in florescent paint (which filled about 1/4 of my kick) and had a black light on the floor in front of the kick. - Actually we painted cymbal stands, mic stands, guitars, guitar straps - whatever we could ....... it was the 60's

I had to experiment to get the right amount for the level of muffling I wanted (which was a major pain - taking the head off, putting it back on, etc.) - but I actually got a decent sound - and everytime I hit the kick the multi colored peanuts would bouce and re-settle, creating a continuously changing psychedelic design.

It actually was rather cool at that time - but a pain in the ass anytime I wanted to change a drum head etc. (which was too often, since I broke waaaay too many heads back then - trying to play un-miced drums an competing with multi stacks of guitar & bass amps).

That particular phase only lasted a few months - or however long it took the acid to wear off (it's all a little unclear) ........ but it did create a "groovy" stage presence!

That would still be just as cool today as it was then. I just don't know were to get any acid anymore. When I was younger I had a lot of connections for that sort of thing, but now I'm illegal drug free for over 13 years :eek:

Back