Need some advice for recording acoustic drums..

Rickson Gracie

Ok guys (and girls),

I am a former Roland td-6 midi drum user for recording and I went ahead and bought an inexpensive acoustic drum set because I figure even a cheap REAL drumset will sound better recorded than the TD-6. I must admit i made some pretty good recordings with the roland thus far my if i listened real close i could tell they were electronic.

My set up is as follows:

Digidesign Mbox int a P4 PC.
Blue Robbie Tube preamp. Single channel.
Yamaha MG103 small 10 channel mixer

Mics:
Pair of Marshal 603s's that i use for recording acoustic guitar
One senheiser e609 that i use to mic giutar amps
One Blue Dragonfly that i use mainly for vocals

My new drums are the LUDWIG accent series that i picked up for $319 new for the w/ hardware and throne. i had to buy an extra cymbal stand and a sabian cymbal set for $199. i read the reviews at musicians friend and they are all good. Anyone here have rexperience with these drums? I am not a full time drummer and i just do recordings for my own pleasure. they sound very good to me although the cymbals sound real high pitched and loud to my ear. im probably just not used to real symbals:)

I record mostly blues, modern rock, classic rock. i like a vintage yet rich sound.

Can you suggest the best setup to record my drums???

Can i get away with the stuff i have now or do i need to buy more mics...etc.??

THANKS

Your only constraint at this stage will be the Mbox. How many analog inputs does it have? If it's only got 2, you'll have to make do with kick & overhead mics. If it has 4 you can put up 2 overheads and mic the snare

thanks guys. i know the mbox only has 2 inputs but im guessing i will be using the yamaha mixer to mix everything down to 2 inputs.

is there a fairly in expexpensive mic i can get that will make this setup sound much better? like will the sm57 work much better thabn the e609 on the snare?

wouldnt the dragonfly sound better as an overhead than both 603s's?

thanks

With what you have I'd put the 603's in an X-Y pattern about two drum stick lengths end to end directly above the snare, the e609 on the snare and the Dragonfly in front of the kick about two feet out from the kit at about the height of the top of the kick drum shell. If you could come up with one more dynamic mic, I'd put it inside the kick, BUT, I'd record the kit first and see if you feel the kick is weak. It may be just fine with what you have.

well said, follow these guys advice (and on the other thread too, you double poster!)

Back