My friend wants to learn drums

Nola

But she doesn't want to learn all the "boring" stuff like rudiments and stuff.

She's more into learning songs.

I want to encourage her to play and just learn songs, but I know the fundamentals are really important. Any ideas how to approach this?

Put on headphones. Play along with songs. That's how I learned. I got to be an ok drummer that way. She will almost certainly never become a great drummer that way.

Now I am going back and learning rudiments. But I think it's harder now because I am breaking old habits.

Depending on what her long term goals are for playing drums.........like so many other instruments.......the fundamentals are there to create a foundation that will help her in every possible drumming situation. In another view.......the fundamentals also come with a learning of universal terminology used by drummers and other musicians the world over. Sort of like the guitar player or piano player (or etc etc) who never thought learning what a song key was all about was important............who later realized he had no idea what to do when a singer asked to do it in a different key. Obviously a key does not affect the drums.......(mostly).......but the point is that many professional musicians understand drum terminology as well and use it.

As a separate question of a similar nature........does she consider learning time signatures important? Not saying she does or doesn't.....just wondering.

Agreed with you! always believed that the basic fundamentals always become important. If a person wants to become a professional, then without a base and rudiments it will be difficult to become a professional.

Depending on what her long term goals are for playing drums.........like so many other instruments.......the fundamentals are there to create a foundation that will help her in every possible drumming situation. In another view.......the fundamentals also come with a learning of universal terminology used by drummers and other musicians the world over. Sort of like the guitar player or piano player (or etc etc) who never thought learning what a song key was all about was important............who later realized he had no idea what to do when a singer asked to do it in a different key. Obviously a key does not affect the drums.......(mostly).......but the point is that many professional musicians understand drum terminology as well and use it.

As a separate question of a similar nature........does she consider learning time signatures important? Not saying she does or doesn't.....just wondering.

Agreed with you! always believed that the basic fundamentals always become important. If a person wants to become a professional, then without a base and rudiments it will be difficult to become a professional.

Learning rudiments will make things easier in the long run. Makes the difference between being a drummer and playing drums. Build the hands, build the feel, build the ears.

Back