Thread: My friend wants to learn drums

Thanks

My friend wants to learn drums

Sign in to disable this ad
    But she doesn't want to learn all the "boring" stuff like rudiments and stuff.

She's more into learning songs.

I want to encourage her to play and just learn songs, but I know the fundamentals are really important. Any ideas how to approach this?

Thanks
    Put on headphones. Play along with songs. That's how I learned. I got to be an ok drummer that way. She will almost certainly never become a great drummer that way.

Now I am going back and learning rudiments. But I think it's harder now because I am breaking old habits.
    “There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.” - Socrates

Thanks
    Here's a good place to start. You can skip the rudiments (or not) and go straight for the "play along with.." section.

How to Play Drums: The Complete Guide for Beginners
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    Depending on what her long term goals are for playing drums.........like so many other instruments.......the fundamentals are there to create a foundation that will help her in every possible drumming situation. In another view.......the fundamentals also come with a learning of universal terminology used by drummers and other musicians the world over. Sort of like the guitar player or piano player (or etc etc) who never thought learning what a song key was all about was important............who later realized he had no idea what to do when a singer asked to do it in a different key. Obviously a key does not affect the drums.......(mostly).......but the point is that many professional musicians understand drum terminology as well and use it.

As a separate question of a similar nature........does she consider learning time signatures important? Not saying she does or doesn't.....just wondering.
    Just A Song Writer..........

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Agreed with you! always believed that the basic fundamentals always become important. If a person wants to become a professional, then without a base and rudiments it will be difficult to become a professional.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OliverLaberd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    Depending on what her long term goals are for playing drums.........like so many other instruments.......the fundamentals are there to create a foundation that will help her in every possible drumming situation. In another view.......the fundamentals also come with a learning of universal terminology used by drummers and other musicians the world over. Sort of like the guitar player or piano player (or etc etc) who never thought learning what a song key was all about was important............who later realized he had no idea what to do when a singer asked to do it in a different key. Obviously a key does not affect the drums.......(mostly).......but the point is that many professional musicians understand drum terminology as well and use it.

As a separate question of a similar nature........does she consider learning time signatures important? Not saying she does or doesn't.....just wondering.
    Agreed with you! always believed that the basic fundamentals always become important. If a person wants to become a professional, then without a base and rudiments it will be difficult to become a professional.

Thread Information