Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My drums software drums

Thanks

My drums software drums

Sign in to disable this ad
    Starting to play with the drums. EZ drummer to me sounds bad. The ambient echo ruins the beats, not sure what is happening there. I turn off the room, and reverb, and sometimes OH. I wanted flat drums. They sound pumped up with power. So that means a bass enhancer of some sort at 40-50 htz. I rendered drum0 as it comes no EQ or anything. Normalized to -14Lufs.

DRum0 is stock as it comes. In the DAW no FX, but I did turn it down some.

Then Drum1 I added a bit of EQ , and a Big bottom enhancer. They should be compressed already. So I left that out.

I used Zorrofox's addvice form his beat mixing thread. I have no Pultec so I substituted the specs to the Focusrite RED EQ.
    annotation-2020-01-26-133657-jpg

Is the Drum1 even any better? I spent some time messing with it. I heavily dislike the way the cymbals sound.

What treatment do the software drums need to sound nice? Ideas welcome.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LazerBeakShiek; 01-26-2020 at 15:02.

Thanks
    drum0 sounds better.

Seems you are looking past the final product.

I haven't used EZDrummer for years. Some get good things from it, but it takes time to know what you are looking for. I have found other drum programs to sound much better, but that was after time and experience to know why.

That being said, I am not sure you are making good decisions just yet. Knowing how the drums work in a mix is how you find that out. We all know what raw EZD sounds like. Not real.

Work your mixes with the drums. Anything solo'd may sound off.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 10 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    No man I need to isolate and take care of the basics. The instruments need to sound better on their own before I start layering them. If just start layering it will be a total crap shoot.

Here this is a higher bit quality. And the ambience is gone.

Would you agree? These hits don't have that hollow echo.

I changed these areas to maximum.
    annotation-2020-01-26-204230-jpg
    Last edited by LazerBeakShiek; 01-26-2020 at 19:26.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    We all know what raw EZD sounds like. Not real.
    What needs to be done to them to sound like the radio?

A recent video I watched says, re amping the drum track. I know it does not work how it is. I turned every knob, and still have not got them close or effect the part of sound I want to. Ill get it.

Thanks
    Could someone drag and drop a measure of drums into their DAW enviroment and render it as a mp3? No FX or EQ or Compression, as the drum software preset comes. Normalize or adjust to -14 Lufs for comparison.

My problem is centering on a db loss of -10 db after rendering. I cannot figure out what is causing it. That is the problem.
    Last edited by LazerBeakShiek; 01-29-2020 at 11:18.

Thanks
    Here you go LBS,

The first is ALMOST there, -15.9 integrated, -15.2 short term, and -12.5 momentary LUFS, max peak reading is -0.5 dBFS. BTW, I had to compress and limit the crap out of the first one to get it up to -15LUFS and not go into clipping.

The second had a lot ride on the crash, and is a busier track. It has NO compression or limiting, and it hit -13.4 on the LUFS scale, and only -.7 on the peak dBFS.

WHY the difference? Read my post in your other thread about Renders. I explain the difference between LUFS and DBFS.
    Attached are the MP3 and the analysis in Reaper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drumtrack-jpg   drum-track-3-jpg  
    Last edited by TalismanRich; 01-31-2020 at 19:10.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TalismanRich For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    And my drums , 1 measure dragged directly into the track area.

Reapers own 1175 compressor , 8:1 -11 thresh.

Analyzed at 15.4 Lufs.

Yours sound great by the way. What software is that? My waves look nothing like yours scoped.

Thanks
    Those are beat patterns taken straight from MTPowerDrumkit. Free download, you can use it for free, but you have to click through a "nag" screen each time you load it, or you can donate to the developers (your choice of how much) and bypass the nag with a registration number.

Thanks
    The drums from the MTPower VST sound better to me. These are stock dragged directly into the DAW. How about you?

Clip of MTPower drums instead of EZ drummer in my DAW ? 2nd clip with accompanying Roland Cloud instrumentation.

Yes I had the same issue with clipping. I kept pumping the compression, but it would clip. So I had to make the drums pump with only a Gate. Gate set to -10 db only, it clamps down shutting on the tails. Pumps like compression, without compression. This one hit -16 Lufs without clipping.

How are you using the compressor?
    Last edited by LazerBeakShiek; 02-05-2020 at 14:57.

Thanks
    Man, the way one uses a drum VST is what makes it work.

A stock version of one may sound great to you. It might sound bad to another.

The ability to change what works for any given song is important. A canned drum beat may work for you. Manipulating it to work with any given song is a blessing.

The most important thing is that it works for you and your song. That is for you to decide.

I haven't even heard a song yet, so I can't give an opinion. Even if you did have a full version of the song, my opinion is just my opinion. Your creativity and what you like is what is important.

Create and stop asking for opinions. Just have fun creating already! You will work out the little shit later.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 10 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thread Information