MXL V63 Mogami or Joemeek JM27

mtx records

i am looking to get a pair of overheads to use on my drums in my homestudio, right now i am just using sm57's for overheads, and i need some condensers. so which would be the best bang for my buck/ best sound quality?

peace and love,

mTx

What size is the kit?
Do you have a kick mic?
How many sm57's do you have?

I'd say, firsthand, the SDC's would be great, assuming you plan on buying 2 for stereo miking. The V63 LDC would really only be good for a very open sound, and used only in conjunction with maybe a kick mic and possibly a snare mic.

I've never used the JoeMeeks personally, but I believe them to be in the same class as the MXL 603, which work great on OHs.

i would just like to say that i am not affiliated with mtx and don't want him to get in trouble for all the stupid stuff i said/did, so please leave him alone.

jaykeMURD said:
What size is the kit?
Do you have a kick mic?
How many sm57's do you have?

I'd say, firsthand, the SDC's would be great, assuming you plan on buying 2 for stereo miking. The V63 LDC would really only be good for a very open sound, and used only in conjunction with maybe a kick mic and possibly a snare mic.

I've never used the JoeMeeks personally, but I believe them to be in the same class as the MXL 603, which work great on OHs.

i have 5 sm57's and a AKG d112 on the kick. i probably will not have to use all the mics, and i am limited on channels also.

mtx records said:
i have 5 sm57's and a AKG d112 on the kick. i probably will not have to use all the mics, and i am limited on channels also.

Assuming you have 3 toms, a 57 for each, panned accordingly. Another 57 on the snare, d112 on kick, and then 2 OHs.

jaykeMURD said:
Assuming you have 3 toms, a 57 for each, panned accordingly. Another 57 on the snare, d112 on kick, and then 2 OHs.

no i only have 2 toms snare and kick, but u turn up the close mics last after u tune the overheads right?

mtx records said:
no i only have 2 toms snare and kick, but u turn up the close mics last after u tune the overheads right?

Correct. The OH's will provide 85% of the sound. Close-miking individual drums is only to boost, fill up, and give the piece more punch in the mix. Also gives you more control on the sound.

mtx records said:
and what about the hi hats, will the OH's pick those up or should i mic them with an sm57?

I personally never mike the hats. They're usually loud enough to begin with. However, some do find it nessicary to do so. Say your Stereo image is slighty off, with the snare is centered, but the hats are prevalent the left channel. So close-miking the hats would allow you to mix them into the center. Again, you'd gain more control on the sound of them, but it's usually not needed. Since you have 2 extra sm57s, perhaps you could mike the bottom of the snare with one, and then point the other extra at the kick beater, about 5+ inches from where the beater strikes.

I have'nt kept up with the whole mtxrecords, msblaze thing so I don't really know what's going on with that.

I do have a pair of JM27's, tried out twice on acoustic guitar, and have been boxed up otherwise. I don't know how they would sound as drum overheads but if you decide that you want a pair, pm me. They're in perfect working conditon and cosmetically mint but cheaper than new.

Back