me again with my micing problem

mpsux

Okay i still seem to be having touble micing the drums, They sound okay but there pretty hollow sounding, not what i expected. I was reading on another website that placement makes all the difference, Is this true? Any tips at all would be appreciated

my suggestion would be to try different mike placement! haha tho i am trying to sound like a smart ass, i can tell you that not all drums sound the same when miked the same. the only way to find "your sound" is to experiment for hours a day every chance you get until you get it right. i have been trying for a couple of months to get a sound i like. i'm close but still not there. only you know the sound you're looking for. go forth and find it lad!!!

Are you Recording digital?Alot of digital recordings can sound "stale".A good tube preamp could help fatten it up.Our band just started work on our demo.For the drums were also using an enhancer/exciter which really brought the mix to life.The mics could also be playing a major factor in the sound.

For our drums were using two AT's as overheads,two sm57's on the snare(one on the top and one on the bottom),an EV on the kick,and a Rode NT1 as a room mic.We've also got some compression going and some reverb on the snare.We spent about four or five hours experimenting with mic placement,EQ,and just getting levels set properly.I love the sound we ended up with and I dont think we could have achieved it without the tube preamp and some of the other toys.

Hope this helps a little.Its late and I'm starting to ramble....

Back