This may seem like a dumb question but....

Greg_L

Banned
.....how cold is too cold for outdoor drumming? Specifically, in regards to the equipment. You see, down here where I live near the Texas coast, when it gets below 50, we start freezing. I'm no master of metallurgy, but I'm familiar with how the cold affects things and I can't imagine that cymbals like being bashed when they're cold. It's supposed to get down into the 20's this weekend, and we (my band) practice in the singers unheated garage. I use his kit and cymbals though so I don't have to haul my own stuff. Anyway, am I gonna break his shit this friday night? :D

cymbals you don't have to worry so much as the drum heads they'll tear easyer in the cold.

Greg it just sounds like your just trying to get out of practising this week.
Whats up? big date? Dim the lights low, chill some Boones farm apple wine,put on a Vic Damoine album.

Just don't run a kerosine space heater smells like sh*t!

cymbals you don't have to worry so much as the drum heads they'll tear easyer in the cold.

Greg it just sounds like your just trying to get out of practising this week.
Whats up? big date? Dim the lights low, chill some Boones farm apple wine,put on a Vic Damoine album.

Just don't run a kerosine space heater smells like sh*t!

Lol. No, I like band practice. I just don't wanna break his stuff.

Put a electric heater near the drums with a fan way before you start will help or if you have some stage lighting hanging around point them down towards the drums (band) to stay warm.
Up here in the great white north I have to deal with this all the time!
Your tuning wil be off too! A little higher than normal.
Hand dexterity will be bad - those sticks are gonna fly--- your gonna shoot your eye out.

My guess would be that constantly moving the kit/cymbals from a warmer place to a colder place would be a problem, because of all the rapid contraction and expansion, but if the kits been out in the cold for a long time playing it won't damage it. I could be completely wrong, just my guess. :)
Are his cymbals expensive?

My guess would be that constantly moving the kit/cymbals from a warmer place to a colder place would be a problem, because of all the rapid contraction and expansion, but if the kits been out in the cold for a long time playing it won't damage it. I could be completely wrong, just my guess. :)
Are his cymbals expensive?

No, they're cheapos. ZBT's and B8's. I for damn sure aint bringing my 2002's out there.

Good to know about the tuning issue - explains some of my frustration, given that my set's in a "sunroom" with 100 year old leaky windows.

I played in bands in Nebraska, but I never payed attention to what the drummers were going through. Funny what a wuss I've turned into after a decade and a half in H-town.

Good to know about the tuning issue - explains some of my frustration, given that my set's in a "sunroom" with 100 year old leaky windows.

I played in bands in Nebraska, but I never payed attention to what the drummers were going through. Funny what a wuss I've turned into after a decade and a half in H-town.

It's fucking cold down here brutha! :eek:

Marching bands in Minnesota have probably endured a lot colder.

One idea would be, instead of one, wear two kilts. :)

Ya the sun is eqully as bad and not only with drums --stringed instruments even vocals.

Back