Mapex Voyager vs. Stage Custom Advantage

JACARUAL

Hi, I recently posted about some upgrades to the Voyager kit we bought for our son. We bought the Voyager at such a great deal that we couldn't pass it up. Now at the local GC we found a Stage Custom Advantage kit and it's also a really good price but doesn't include any hardware. Our Voyager came with everything needed except cymbals. We would have to buy hardware which I can get used from a friend at pretty low prices if we get the Stage Custom. Just thought I would check with you all and see what your thoughts were. He's 13 and we already know he doesn't care about the smaller sizes that come with the Voyager. I was just wondering if the extra 100+ is worth it to get the Stage Custom or stick with what we've got. He's already picked out his cymbals that he likes so we're set on that. Just need to figure out which drums to give him. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I think the Yamaha Stage Customs are one of the best low cost kits made. A few years ago I owned a Stage Custom kit that I used for outdoor gigs and other gigs that I did not want to take my more expensive kits to. I also own a Mapex Voyager - which I think is a decent small kit - for small gigs.

I qualify so you understand that I have experiance with both kits - having used both in many differnt types of gigs.

The Stage Custom is a better gigging kit. It is more durable and certainly lends itself more to "rock & roll" than the Voyage (meaning it projects better, provides more lows and in general can compete against guitar amps). The Voyager is a cool little kit for jazz or other low profile gigs, but it would need to be mic'd in a rock and roll gig (something most 13 year olds - or thier parents) aren't ready to deal with.

Since you can get the hardware at low cost - I think the kid may be more satisfied with the Stage Custom as his "main kit" and the Voyagers can also serve duty as a practice kit and or back-up kit.

If you think the kid is serious about playing and if there is a chance he may strat to jam with friends or form a basement band - the Stage Customs are the better choice. If the kid is simp,y going to play in your basement for a year or two until something else grabs his attention - than the Voyagers would do the job.

Back