learning the drums

random.hero

lol i am currently trying to teach my friend how to play the drums...
its not easy.

It really brought me back about oh 3 years ago when i first learned...

anyone else remember how hard it was to learn a basic beat?

Yeah it took me a while to learn. I taught myself, no lessons. I started on a toy kit from sears when I was probably 9 or 10. Then i got my first real kit for 100 dollars at a second hand store right after i turned 13. then i got my first new kit for christmas, a pearl forum. Thats the kit i did most of my learning on. Then i had a mapex m kit that lasted for a couple years. A couple years ago I got my Taye StudioMaple kit which i love and i never want to upgrade. Hmmm well thats the story of my drum kits. What was the question again? oh right learning. Yeah it was hard. :D

NegadivOne said:
Yeah it took me a while to learn. I taught myself, no lessons. I started on a toy kit from sears when I was probably 9 or 10. Then i got my first real kit for 100 dollars at a second hand store right after i turned 13. then i got my first new kit for christmas, a pearl forum. Thats the kit i did most of my learning on. Then i had a mapex m kit that lasted for a couple years. A couple years ago I got my Taye StudioMaple kit which i love and i never want to upgrade. Hmmm well thats the story of my drum kits. What was the question again? oh right learning. Yeah it was hard. :D

lol Im dumb so I cudnt really teach myself... so i started lessons. Since then, I've gotten way better. I've only been playing... 2 years, so I still have a long way to go. But I just applied to take drums in band class next year... I hope I get in!

I taught myself. Bought a kids ludwig and cymbals for a hundred bucks cause he wanted to get a hotel room for prom. I strapped on the headphones and listened to the only cd my cd player would play. It was one of those crap mid 90's inspirational bands, damn what was their name. You know they had a song called the world I know or some shit. Anyway I have no clue why the cd player would only play that cd but it's what I taught myself to play with. I suck though.

I'm self-taught, but I also used to teach. Two things that might help:

1. Slow down. Slow WAY WAY down. You gotta crawl before you can walk, fall-down before you can stand up ... walk before you can run, etc.

2. Make it unfamiliar again. If you play right handed, switch it all around and try to play it yourself left-handed. This will put you on their level -- help you understand what your student is struggling with. Look at it upside down and/or backward.

Hope this info helps. Cheers, Rez

jonnyc said:
It was one of those crap mid 90's inspirational bands, damn what was their name.

4.gif

Why for is

Last edited:
The first time I sat behind a kit I knew how to play and quite well also, I owe it to the fact that when I was a Kid I used to get high and air drum to AC/DC tunes in my room which basicly tought me how to bang out a Basic Beat....

I first Started Playing Bass when I was about 14 but one Day our Shitty Drummer couldn"t show up for practice so I decided I would Try to Drum and to My and everyone elses Surprise i could Drum and Pretty good So we kicked out our shitty drummer and I sold my Bass and Amp and Bought a Drum kit and Became the Drummer for the Band and the Rest is History.....

I don"t think everyone can be tought to play drums, I believe you need to have the beat in your Soul as not everyone can keep time , even after many years of Practice...

Cheers

Sounds like I lucked out on drums....first time I sat down behind a set, I played a basic 4/4 beat. Just grew from there. Self-taught all the way!

cool

Minion said:
The first time I sat behind a kit I knew how to play and quite well also, I owe it to the fact that when I was a Kid I used to get high and air drum to AC/DC tunes in my room which basicly tought me how to bang out a Basic Beat....

I first Started Playing Bass when I was about 14 but one Day our Shitty Drummer couldn"t show up for practice so I decided I would Try to Drum and to My and everyone elses Surprise i could Drum and Pretty good So we kicked out our shitty drummer and I sold my Bass and Amp and Bought a Drum kit and Became the Drummer for the Band and the Rest is History.....

I don"t think everyone can be tought to play drums, I believe you need to have the beat in your Soul as not everyone can keep time , even after many years of Practice...

Cheers

awesome story...

i think thats what separates just playing drums and being a musician drumming...
something like that
:D

seriously dont dog me cuz i only have been playing for 3 years...
mostly self tought btw-

Back