LDC on Snare Drum?

ibleedburgundy

The Anti-Lambo
It never occurred to me before to use a large diaphram condenser on a snare drum until I saw someone doing it in a music video. Previously I had used SM57s almost exclusively. So I tried using an AT4040 through my RNP and was pleasantly surprised with the results. This was for a raggae song and it resulted in a nice full tone. Had a nice sound for rimclicks in particular. Not sure I would do this other genres and if I did I would likely have to use a different pre as the 4040 sends a strong signal even with the 10 db pad activated so I was on the absolute lowest gain setting for the RNP. Anyone else using a LDC on snare drum?

Not necessarily on the snare but in between the kick and the snare to capture drum set from that point of view.
Was a bit interesting and usable. Give it a try - just for experimentation purposes.
You'll have to fiddle around with placement.

Like Greg suggested, you are going to want to use a mic that can take the spl. I have used an sp b1 to good effect. It's awkward to position on a snare, though.

Not necessarily on the snare but in between the kick and the snare to capture drum set from that point of view.
Was a bit interesting and usable. Give it a try - just for experimentation purposes.
You'll have to fiddle around with placement.

Yeah I have it on the snare but it's picking up a lot of hihat and some bass drum. The hihat click on it is nice though - provides a little body to the Naiant X/S overheads that I'm running through an Audient ASP 008.

I use a SDC on snare. Im sure an ldc that could take the spl would sound good too. Its best to use it with a dynamic though: The drummer needs a cheaper mic to hit :thumbs up:

I have used my Audio Technica ae3000 on snare a few times. It does a decent job with the -10 pad engaged. It's especially nice because it's tiny compared to most other LDC mics, so it's easier to position and less likely to get whacked.

Back