Kick Drum Beater of choice for recording

metalj

Any one have a definate preference of kick drum beaters ?

what works best for you and why ??

Ive had good luck using one of those cobra kick wooden beaters, it really gave a nice cutting pop. I found i could get a good kick sound with minamal eqing.

any thoughts on the subject would be very interesting to me to hear the why's, how's and whatnots of how you did it and what kind of music you recording for.

I use a triple-headed beater, and usually use the felt or rubber side, depending on the music. I don't like wood, it's too wierd for me.

i can only use felt unfortunately. I hit pretty hard and i tried wood and rubber but it started to melt the kevlar patch on my drumhead.

wow...

is it just me? or does anyone else have a personal hate issue against the dual beater pedals? they are ok for metal, but i still just hate them for some reason

I use Axis Sonic hammers, but I cut out a piece of mousepad and hot-glued it to the face, so it's got a sound similar to a felt mallet, but it's got it's own sound at the same time.

I hate hard mallets - they get kind of "bounce-y"; I prefer a softer mallet so I can lay into the drumhead with it.

Tim

Tim Brown said:
I hate hard mallets - they get kind of "bounce-y"; I prefer a softer mallet so I can lay into the drumhead with it.

I agree. I only use rubber when I plan on doing loads of double-bass work. I can get a bit more speed because of the bouncyness. But as far as sound and feel, I prefer a nice felt anyday.

I just switched from the old school big wooden ball beaters to the iron cobra wooden ones. The wood fell off, I glued it back on.

I started on felt, then went to big wood beaters on Camco pedals, then DW5000 with plastic beaters. I used all combo's of impact pads. Now I am back to straight felt on a plain head ...and I am at peace! :cool:

Farview said:
I just switched from the old school big wooden ball beaters to the iron cobra wooden ones. The wood fell off, I glued it back on.

That's a touching story of the trials and tribulations of operating a kick drum pedal. Truly inspiring....now can I get a discount on those drum samples. :D

Back