Kick/Bass Drum Tuning...

triple-zero

Was reading http://www.drumweb.com/profsound.shtml artical and decided to re-tune my kit.... I had a go at my snare drum and got it sounding bloody fantastic (13" Pearl Piccolo)..... And then moved on and tried my bass drum (that didnt sound too bad in first place) and it now sounds awful.... very dead....... any help on getting back the loud, punchy kick sound I like?

What type of muffling are you using on the bass drum?
And what are the dimensions??

I use a pillow so that it's touching the batter and resonant head at the same time, but not toally killing the resonance of both heads. And I keep the batter head medium tension -- not too right, not too loose -- and the resonant head it a little tighter.
Oh, and I'm using a Evans EQ4 as a batter head with an impact pad. I get great thump with great tone from the drum. What more could you ask for!?

Good luck,
Justin

I have the same kit.
I have'nt changed the kick head yet though, so I'm sure mine will sound different than yours. When I got mine, it was really boomy, and I like it a bit drier than what it was.

What I did with mine was this.
I took a piece of upholstery foam about an inch and a half thick, about 24 inches wide and just long enough to touch both heads, stuck it in the drum. I cut a 4 inch hole in the reso head.
Tuned the reso to just past no wrinkles and evened it out. Tuned the batter to just past wrinkles plus about a half turn and evened it all out.
I put a FalamSlam patch on the batter.

This drum sounds killer. Nice and dry with a bit of beater click and plenty of boom.

Hope this helps you.

Listen to the track your playing with..

what note sounds good?

what's the lowestnote of your bass drum dude?

ie: what the lowest you can tune it with out sounding as flat as your grandma's tits???

go up to the (normally) g,f,e note from there depending on the music. if your playing with a high pitched chick or jazz or worship/leasbian orgy group d,b..a(anyone care to share an "a" tuning?)

oh yeah and try not to suffocate your nice sounding drum witha pillow..

ok if you don't like the way it sounds. smother it til it does..

but if you want the real deal, tune it to the lowest possible and tweak it till you say - YEAH!

it's worth the 10 min of tuning...

would you deadend your toms with a pillow? no.

respect the boommy heart beat of your bass drum and it with put resecpt in your song

oh yeah and try not to suffocate your nice sounding drum witha pillow..

ok if you don't like the way it sounds. smother it til it does..

but if you want the real deal, tune it to the lowest possible and tweak it till you say - YEAH!

it's worth the 10 min of tuning...

would you deadend your toms with a pillow? no.

respect the boommy heart beat of your bass drum and it with put resecpt in your song

I don't think he can hear you. He posted this about 4 years ago. :eek:

bettsy registered in May of 04, and is responding to a thread from may of 04. Maybe he/she is playing catch up?

bettsy registered in May of 04, and is responding to a thread from may of 04. Maybe he/she is playing catch up?

Well, if she posts a picture, we might be convinced to stop posting for 4 years until she's caught up. :D

Back