Interface + Mixer or just Interface?

Wes39

Hello. This is my first post on here and could really use the help. I have been recording my drumming for a year or so as a hobby when i'm not at school. I usually just do covers to random things as i film it. Examples can be found on here if you're interested www.youtube.com/woodencar . I've been using a set of Digital Reference mics that i won off of ebay. 1 kick, 1 snare, 2 toms. I also have several condenser mics laying around my basement that can be used for overheads. For all those movies i made, i have used different mics and different mixers, and once, an M-Audio interface with a friend's enormous(and old) mixer. Well i'm tired of borrowing equipment with different results. One mixer i borrowed absolutely refused to produce any good sounds, even. What i need help with is whether or not i should be looking at a specific type of mixer and corresponding interface. Or, should i just be looking at one of each to record with. I use Audacity to record with (because it's free and i like free things). I have no real need to mix the drums as separate tracks either although i know that would probably yield better quality. Is there a multiple track interface option that would allow me to use 6 mics at once that could be recorded onto Audacity? Thank you for any help, this is driving me nuts.
- Wes

What i need help with is whether or not i should be looking at a specific type of mixer and corresponding interface. Or, should i just be looking at one of each to record with.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, have you thought about getting a firepod (audio interface) and switching to cubase? (comes free with the firepod)
What's your budget?

That's more or less what i was wondering. If i get the Firepod could i mic the drum set, plug those into the Firepod, and from there, plug the Firepod into the computer? My budget isn't great but that's what Christmas is for i suppose. Despite days of searching, i can't find a direct answer to whether or not you can use a multi-channel interface with preamps built in as the only thing between the mics and the computer. The Firepod is the exact image of what i was thinking when i asked this to. Sorry if i'm confusing.

That's more or less what i was wondering. If i get the Firepod could i mic the drum set, plug those into the Firepod, and from there, plug the Firepod into the computer? My budget isn't great but that's what Christmas is for i suppose. Despite days of searching, i can't find a direct answer to whether or not you can use a multi-channel interface with preamps built in as the only thing between the mics and the computer. The Firepod is the exact image of what i was thinking when i asked this to. Sorry if i'm confusing.
That's exactly what you should be using.
The interface converts your signal to digital and fires it into the computer.
There are a large number of 8 channel interfaces on the market.
MOTU, Presonus, M Audio... the list goes on.
The choices will include USB, Firewire and PCI cards. I prefer the latter.
Buy something with ADAT I/O and you will be able to add 8 more channels for not too much coin, down the road.

Yup, you just need an audio interface. You don't need to get a mixer too, because you'll be doing that with the audio software you're using. If the Firepod is out of your price range you could try looking for one on ebay, or you could check out the Tascam U1641. It also has 8 inputs, enough for drum micing. If thats still too pricey, you could look into getting something with less inputs.

That's an incredible deal from a well established vendor.
Someone pointed those out a couple of days ago and I remarked the same sentiments then.
No ADAT or inserts but it does have SPDIF I/O, and plenty of other things going on.
You have enough there to record your drums or you could premix them and add them via several routes.
Awesome!
Time to tell dad what you want for Christmas.... or get a job!:)

Hey thanks a lot guys! I've been looking on ebay a lot actually. I found a lot of used Firepods for around 120 which is a steal. ebay's gonna be hit up for christmas for sure. i'd work if i wasn't playing sports at college already.

Back