Inconsistent Clipping Sound

TheGuardian

So, I've got my drums all tuned, mic'd and EQ'd. Levels look good. When laying down to disc (I have a Yamaha MD-8) for a test track, everything sounds really good. Nice full thumpy bass, real decent full snare, great broad toms, shimmering cymbals. Levels look good on my drum sub-mixing board (a Behringer MX2642A), no clipping at all. Same on the MD-8, no clipping at all.

For mics I'm using AKG C1000S's for the 2 overheads, an AKG D112 for the kick, D418's for the two toms, SM-57's for the snare and floor tom.

This is the best drum sound I've ever acheived, only I'm having a clipping sound which only once in a while happens (not every time) at the end of a roll when the crash and kick are hit at the same time. Hitting them without the roll, even as hard as I can, does not cause this. When it happens, the meters do not show clipping. Sometimes I go around and it sounds fine, even times when I'm hitting harder.

Any clues as to what might be causing this? It's a bit frustrating since everything else is finally falling into place. I'd hate to get that perfect take and have this show up.

PLEASE HELP!!

Regards,
Andrew

Back