I want to learn drums

I'm a truly awful drummer - I can just about manage shit that the bloke from Crazy Horse does.

Ralph Molina?? He's an amazing drummer!

If you can play drums like Ralph Molina, I will literally give you money to play on my shit.

when I was a teenager, I used a book called Independence for the Modern Drummer. It was for learning to play different rhythms simultaneously with different limbs.

Hey Paulman, good post. I was looking for the book you mentioned and couldn't find anything with that title.

For now I've been drumming into a pillow. When I move I think I'll get at least a midi kit, but if it's to a place I can be loud then I'll get a real kit.

I actually like programming drums from scratch. There's something enjoyable about watching it come together. I'd want to learn drums for the reasons mentioned, mostly to help coordination and timing and disconnecting the limbs.

I spent several years learning how to play guitar in hopes of learning more about chord progressions and to help with my ear training, etc. - but what ended up happening is that I spent too much time doing that instead of focusing on what really needed my attention - MY DRUMMING! I've spent my life behind a drum set and let me tell you how many countless hours it takes to go through the muscle/memory control. Our brains are not naturally designed to do that sort of work so it takes time, time, and more time. After seeing your post you noted your goal- "My goal is to tighten my guitar playing because I didn't practice for a few years and got pretty sloppy, and beyond that maybe understand rhythm better for programming drums/thinking like a drummer and just exploring this side of music" My humble suggestion is to just work on metronome techniques with focus on different time signatures. But if you're just wanting to play for enjoyment, just get a SMALL kick, snare, hi-hat, and ride to start. Use sound-offs and hang lots of moving blankets around the kit in the room (and only play during normal business hours) Hope that helps Nola- GOOD LUCK!

Back