I need a REALLY LOUD SNARE

tmix

Even though I have a pretty good assortment of snare drums, I need one that is really loud with a crack that will make your eyes pop out and bleed.(well... maybe not quite that loud).
I have looked at the OCDP web site and their stuff looks interesting but is more than I was expecting.

Does anyone have a source on something (perhaps maple / oak or?) that would fit my needs without costing $600-$800 bucks?

I prefer a loud mid to high pitched with some body to it.
I used the search function but only came up with the OCDP website.
I presently have a steel 14" x 6" ludwig
a 12 x 5 birch ,a 13 x 5 Maple, and a 13 x 3.5 chrome piccolo.

Oh god... no maple! No wood at all for Loud Snares.. the magic word here (to my opinion, of course) is: Bronze.

And maybe a little touch of Vintage and Great Skins is nessecary.

Actually I mean my 14" Slingerland '66 Bronze Snare; Aquarian "Modern Vintage" skin on top.. yeehaa

excuse me.. I can sample it someday for you if you like.

All I recommend is steel over wood. At least with the drums I have on hand (14 x 6 1/2 Pearl steel, and 14 x 5 Tama Artwood Maple). That steel piece of sh*t can make my eyes water. But then it IS a piece of sh*t....I'm rambling....

I have to agree that a Steel or Bronze drum will almost always be louder with a brighter attack than a wood drum.

I prefer Bronze to Steel simply because it seems to offer a little more warmth than Steel (but certainly not as warm as say Maple).

hey. i make drums and i could make you a snare exactly like an OCDP one but for a way lower price. i'm not sure of how much it would be in USD but in canadian it would probably run me about $650 depending on what options you wanted. leave a message if you are interested

Back