I am having trouble getting comfortable with cheap ass set.

capnkid

Optimus Prime
I mean I don't want to take the world by storm here (would be nice though), I just want to record this set through 1 mic into a little two channel mixer and into an EMU 0404 sound card that has cubasis vst.

I know it will sound not that good, but it's all I got right now, and it'll let me keep my ideas on disk.

I am finding it hard to position the set comfortably snare height, easy tom access with ideal flatter position for sound, cymbal distance and height, hi hat height and position.

I find I have long arms and short legs. So it feels comfortble to have the snare about an inch lower than the top of my thighs, but at that height it makes the tom harder to reach.

I guess I'm just ranting.

If I ever get another set it will be rackmount.
Alex_20Van_20Halen_202004_20_232.jpg

if you aren't used to drums and depending on the mounting system it's bound to take you awhile to get comfortable with it, but even then it never really ends, instead it more or less eventually becomes an almost subconscious adjustment procedure you'll do each time you sit down and even several times during a session at the kit. This is one reason quality hardware can make a bit of a difference in the longrun, it stays put and can withstand being adjusted a billion times. Also, and perhaps more importantly, the more you play or even practice on a pad, the more efficent and effortless your movements will become not unlike learning to switch from one chord to the next on guitar.

Hang in there and keep experimenting till you find your own personal comfort zone.

:)

capnkid said:
I find I have long arms and short legs. So it feels comfortble to have the snare about an inch lower than the top of my thighs, but at that height it makes the tom harder to reach.

I guess I'm just ranting.

Dave Weckl talks a lot about the importance of the positioning of a drumset. He says that drummers usually have their snares too low. The top of the snare drum should be about even with your belt when you're sitting. (So, an inch below your thighs is way too low.)

Your throne should be at a height where your legs are at a 90-degree angle while sitting. Toms should be position slightly above the snare.

Of course, this is all subjective, but if you sit and your kit you should be able to play with your eyes closed without missing anything. If not, adjust until you can. I've spent a lot of time lately just on the positioning of my drumkit. It can make a big differences in your playing. Sometimes you don't really how awkward your set-up really is until you start playing around with it.

Would it be rediculous to turn the bass drum around? The Toms would be positioned closer to me then. The mount for the toms is closer to the non batter side on most sets no?

You COULD turn it around, but will the mounts allow for that?
You know sometimes they fit one way into the "clamp" on the bass drum?
And will it tip over? There are other possibilites depending on the mount and amount of toms you have. You could snare stand a tom (might work might not) or multi-clamp one to a stand. Also, you could look on ebay for an inexpensive yet better mounting sytem someone has stripped off a kit and just add it to your set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ludwig-Accent-B...4QQihZ020QQcategoryZ47089QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tama-drums-doub...8QQihZ010QQcategoryZ47089QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Heck, maybe some generous soul here has something like that just laying around and could send it your way.

What kind of mount is on there now?

Bill Furnett said:
You COULD turn it around, but will the mounts allow for that?
You know sometimes they fit one way into the "clamp" on the bass drum?
And will it tip over? There are other possibilites depending on the mount and amount of toms you have. You could snare stand a tom (might work might not) or multi-clamp one to a stand. Also, you could look on ebay for an inexpensive yet better mounting sytem someone has stripped off a kit and just add it to your set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ludwig-Accent-B...4QQihZ020QQcategoryZ47089QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tama-drums-doub...8QQihZ010QQcategoryZ47089QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Heck, maybe some generous soul here has something like that just laying around and could send it your way.

What kind of mount is on there now?

Good idea. The mount that's on there now looks just like the mount in the first pic you posted. It seems like there is a lot of weight put on a little t-screw (the pipe that actually goes into the tom) especially on the larger tom.

You might also try setting up your drums starting with the snare as the center. Then you put your kick over to the right (yes, off center), and keep going from there, with the snare as your center point. It looks a little funny at first, but you'll get used to it. My drummer is a rather lanky person too, with long arms and legs, and this really helped him out.

tourettes5139 said:
You might also try setting up your drums starting with the snare as the center. Then you put your kick over to the right (yes, off center), and keep going from there, with the snare as your center point. It looks a little funny at first, but you'll get used to it. My drummer is a rather lanky person too, with long arms and legs, and this really helped him out.
This is what I usually do. The one area where you often need to comprimise is between the Hi-Hat and the toms. Rarely can you get both of those to be exactly where you want them to be without the other interfering. I usually move things around according to how I'm playing. Eventually I find a happy medium.

Back