How many tracks do you use to record drums?

How many tracks do you use to record your drums?

• 2 Tracks?

Votes: 39 8.5%
  • 3 Tracks?

Votes: 51 11.1%
  • 5 Tracks?

Votes: 67 14.6%
  • More than 5?

Votes: 303 65.9%

• Total voters
i use the standard four with the OH's in the recorder-man setup. After reading this I might experiment with adding a room mic or a beater mic for more punch. I also intend to attempt reamping snare drum.

Last edited:
Last time it was four, but then I bounced them down to two.

Next time I might just go straight to two and save that extra step.

4 is all that's required for me!

Sm57's on everything bar the bass. Sm57 snare, 2 Sm57 overheads and a Beta 52a on the bass. I think that's plenty. Easy to set up, easy to mix and use and sounds fantastic! They're also very inexpensive. I think I got them for about 600 euro. I especially like the Beta 52a, it's the best mic I've used or heard on a bass drum, it's also perfect for recording bass amp. The beauty with the Sm57's is that, when I'm not using them on drums.. I can use them on pretty much anything else. Be it guitar amps or vocals. Anything.

I really like 4 (1 snare, 1 kick and 2 OH) but I've got a new drummer that hangs out here and he's got 3 snares on his set up. I've had to put up extra mics for the extra snares. I'm struggling a bit to get a good sound from this set up.

Only use two mics for the complicated snare set-up. Place one between each snare. That should help equalize and simply things for you. Your overheads will grab the snare as well.

I'm using 5 for now, I need more mics! I'm miking the kik, floor/ride, snare/hi hat, & 2 o.h.'s. I need to get a couple mic's for the tom's. 5 piece kit.

Some use 1. Some use 4.Some use 6, etc.. I use 13. 7 on the drums (2 snare, 4 toms, kick), 2 overheads, hats, ride , and 2 room. But that's just me. Use as many or as few as you can.

On 1/2" 8 track:

1. Dynamic on kick
2. SM57 on snare
3. Condenser overhead positioned above floor tom/ride.

Just got myself a drumset, and I'm using 5 tracks on it.

1 - Kick (Shure Beta92)
2 - Snare (SM57)
3 - Toms (SM57)
4 - Left Overhead (Neumann KM184)
5 - Right Overhead (Neumann KM184)

Also I'm thinking of using my SM7B in addition to a LDC (se2200a) whenever we record drums seperately from the instruments. Does that sound like a good idea? I was thinking of having the LDC behind the drummer and the SM7B for the floor tom to add extra punch.

Well. New discoveries for me. I've been tracking in a very large room and I've found GJ method is REALLY sounding good. I've come to feel this is room dependent though. When I've tried this at home in a small room (12'x10'x7') it never sounded this good.
A D-112 on the kik
MD-441 on snare
Earthworks SR-71's for overheads

Last edited:
Track 1- Kick (AKG D112)
Track 2- Snare (Audix i5)
Track 3- Rack (Audix i5)
Track 4- Floor (MXL 993)
Track 5- OH L (MXL 2003A)
Track 6- OH R (MXL 2003A)

For my overheads, I like to have them about 2'-3' above the kit, aimed at the bell of the hats/ride, and an equal distance from the snare drum :)

Kick-D112
Snare-57
HH-SM7B
T1-3-SM57
Floor tom-CAD M179
Ride-MD 421
Room-Rode NT1a
OH's-AT Pro45's and Samson CO2's (I like to have two choices for overhead mics/positions.)

Back