how to get more crack in the snare

random effect

what are some tips you guys have to help bring out the crack in the snare. I really want it to sound big and so i know to boost the 200 hz but to have more crack, i'm at a loss. ive got an sm57 to mic it and it sounds ok but not powerful enough.

This can help... sorry, I have no real help for your question.

Attachments

• crack-pipe6557.jpg
    crack-pipe6557.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 374
random effect said:
what are some tips you guys have to help bring out the crack in the snare. I really want it to sound big and so i know to boost the 200 hz but to have more crack, i'm at a loss. ive got an sm57 to mic it and it sounds ok but not powerful enough.

If by crack, you mean the snare sound itself, have you tried adding a bottom mic or moving the mic to the bottom entirely?

Wanna add more crack to your snare?? drop your pants and sit on it!! :D

Now seriously... what snare is it?? what heads are you using?? do the snares on the bottom retain as much tension as when they were new?
I think it's all in the shell quality and the way you tune the heads, if it doesn't crack on the room it will never crack in the mix, no matter what frequency you boost.

try not boosting it at 200hz as this can darken it and overpower the high end crack. boost it a little at 2-4khz add a fast attack compressor and turn it up until the bottom end is more powerful.

Also if you mic it a bit closer there will be more proximity effect bass boost so you wont need to EQ in the weight:)

Elton Bear said:
The right drum, the right head(s), the right tuning - the right sound to start with basically.
That's alot of "right"s. What if I'm a lefty??? :eek:

Then put the drum stick that you usually hold in your right hand in your left and then reverse the procedure for the other hand, prob solved.

speaking of right and left I have two questions.
1 Is there a polite, politically correct, canadian euphemism for 'George W Bush is a fucking idiot.' ?
2 Do drummers despise Dubya more than guitarists?

L mandrake said:
Is there a polite, politically correct, canadian euphemism for 'George W Bush is a fucking idiot.' ?
2 Do drummers despise Dubya more than guitarists?
1. Nah, we're not THAT polite.
2. Speaking for myself, I depise GW alot more than I despise guitarists. :D

this seems more of a mix issue than a tracking issue...so although good ideas for the future...let's feed the kid something a bit more helpful....

using 1 57 on the snare tends to do this to you sometimes....if i dont have the mics around to double mic, or get the sound i want out of the mic the first time ill do this.

1. mic the snare with really no regards to the crack sound...and worry about getting more of the top drum sound

2. after recording...mic the bottom snare, and get a lot of different sounds to work with...

3. build a GOG (drumagog file) and use the originally snare track as well as using that to trigger the bottom drum samples ive made...giving you more crack...play with it where it needs playing...

4. salt and fresh ground pepper liberally

5. mix to taste

I'd have to say a majority of the crack comes from the shell. The best snare sound I've had is from micing the batter head with the mic pointed where the drummer hits and a second directed at the shell. Snare side mics have never done it for me: too much kick bleed, awkward placement, not having an extra low-profile stand... I wouldn't really call the sound from that side much of a crack either, more sizzle than anything. It's a personal preference, really, and it varies with the drummer, drum, style of music, etc. Mess around with it. With one mic, point it towards the rim. You'll lose some bottom end, but experiment with some eq and that shouldn't present a huge problem.

I can never quite get a good sound out of my snare either. I am gonna try to mic the side of the shell and see what I can get.

Back