how to get the loud dry snappy loud crack on a deeper snare drum?

i have a 14 x 6 1/2 inch gretsch snare drum...i noticed it has a very deep heavy sound...like a marching band snare....not that much but the sounds deep as crap....
does anybody know any tips i can do to make it have the more...snappier, cracking extra loud snap....more like a piccolo sound....any certain type of drumhead i should get? like coated or ebony or what? or any other tips? thanks

Deep heavy marching band snare? Lol.

If you want your 14x6.5 (probably wood) snare to sound like a piccolo, put it on the shelf and buy a piccolo.

If you are going to be playing a variety of different styles of music, then you will need a variety of different snares (and cymbals too). I own about a dozen different snares (some are just for back up at a gig). The drum you own and are describing sounds like it is a great snare drum for certain music, but it just isn't what you're looking for. You will probably be happier with a shallower drum with a very thick hardwood shell. Heavier and thicker batter head A standard coated Remo or Evans should do it. Tuned up tight with the snare wires a bit snug. That will give you plenty of sharpness. Maybe you will like a piccolo, but remember that a piccolo snare drum is all about high pitch and it may not give you the presence that you are after. A good metal shell snare will give you lots of resonance and crack but it won't be dry. A 14" diameter, 10 ply maple or birch shell (or heavier) with sharp bearing edges about 4"-5" deep with heavier coated head and tuned tight with snug snare wires will give you the sound you're asking for.

If you must stick with the snare you have, look at putting a drier head on there and cranking it up (try an Evans HD Dry)
Also, perhaps entertain the idea of die-cast rims and perhaps rimshotting.

Back