how is this for drum recording?

shadowlorde

i've finally gotten the perfect band together, and want to make some decent sounding demos. this is what i'm thinking on using to record.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=631369

i'm going to sub mix my drums on that and send it to my computer through this lexicon-Lambda-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=245506">http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=245506

if my comp had firewire i would have gotten a firepod(or box .. whichever one was bigger) but it doesn't and i don't want to screw with it.

how good of quality could i get if i did something like that?

i don't need over produced perfect sounding. we play death/thrash metal so i'm thinking maybe the quality could almost be comparable to say show no mercy by slayer or something.

what do you think?

i won't pretend to know the first thing about computer recording, but i do know that i bought my behringer ub2222fxpro mixer for a little over $200 and it has 8 xlr inputs, only 2 less than the peavey you're looking at. i use it strictly for submixing my drums into 2 stereo channels into my akai 12-track, and i couldn't be happier with the results. so you may want to look into that option. a little less money for comparable utility. the only drawback is, i use 1/4" outputs (no xlr outputs on the beh to run into yr interface), and i don't know how well-equipped the peavey is in the way of sweepable mids on the eq, but i wish my beh had more options in that department. but it does have the built-in fx, eq, and "imps"--invisible mic preamps--that i've had a lot of luck with, especially since drums aren't like a voice--you don't really need any added warmth if you have a decent set that's tuned well. hell, you don't even need the best mics--the most expensive mic i have on my set is the akg c1000s, which is still less than $200, and it's only being used for hi-hat/rotos. i'm using 6 close mics with 2 overheads, so the 8-xlr inputs are sufficient. if you're looking to use more than 8 mics, the peavey does give you a couple extra xlrs, which is nice...just a thought...

thanks for your help.

i bought the cad 7 mic set.. the cheaper one i think it was $200. I was thinkin about the behringer mixer ... but i read a lot of bad reviews. and from what I heard peavey is a very reliable name.

thanks for your help again

Back