How do you record patterns and songs on the BOSS DR 670

sekou

I have been using a BOSS DR 670 and am happy with the quality of the sounds, however I cannot figure out how to record drum patterns into the machine itself. The manual has not been helpful, anyone with suggestions out there?

Nobody here is going to be any more helpful than the manual I'm afraid. Are you saying that the manual makes no sense or what?

I'm pretty sure you just hit record, select step or real time, and start hitting the drum pads. What exactly are you having trouble with?

Dude, I used to use the DR-770 and the manual was very helpful in figuring out the machine. You've got to be more specific about what you're having trouble with.
You said you tried that.......well what happened?
You've got to go to an empty pattern number, hit the step/real time button to select one or the other, and then just tap in the drums with the pads. There is a selector for note value, tempo, and time signature, etc.. Do you understand what all of these things do?
If you really need help you've got to be more specific.

I don't have experience with the 670 but the 770 is pretty straightforward. It's listed under 'real time pattern recording' or 'step pattern recording'.

to record drum patterns (patterns and songs are 2 different things)you select "pattern" and "real" than select the number of measures you want the pattern to be than hit record. the machine should now be playing a click track to the tempo you have set.

now hit a pad and it will repeat what you just hit at the same point in time in the pattern with each cycle(the pattern is looped). now just hit what you want where you want it and build your pattern.

to create a song you make several of these patterns than put them into a song.

keep playing with it and you will get it. it can take time.

hope that helped.

-jay

Sekou, the DR-670 manual is very clear and concise on the subjects of pattern and song creation.

If you will sit down with the manual and follow it step by step, you will learn! :)

A couple of pointers to where to find the appropriate information in the manual:

--Chapter 3, Recording and Editing Patterns (Pattern Edit Mode) - page 52
You can record patterns in one of two modes, realtime recording (page 55) and step recording (page 57). I recommend realtime recording as it is more intuitive. In this mode, the DR-670 continues to loop through the same two measures, and it records anything you touch on the keypad.

--Chapter 4, Recording and Editing Songs (Song Edit Mode) - page 63
Again, you can record songs realtime (by selecting patterns and fills on the fly) or by step recording. In this case I recommend step recording. If you have documented your patterns well, you can assemble a song in step mode in just a couple of minutes.

Good luck!

question , how can I save either a drum kit or individual drum sound on the boss dr 670 ? For example I have a pattern on 346 and 347 , with drum kit 13 on 346. I change to 347 , but when I go back to 346, the drum kit is lost.... how can I save the kits with out losing them when I change patterns

boss dr 670 drum machine

question , how can I save either a drum kit or individual drum sound on the boss dr 670 ? For example I have a pattern on 346 and 347 , with drum kit 13 on 346. I change to 347 , but when I go back to 346, the drum kit is lost.... how can I save the kits with out losing them when I change patterns - my e-mail is erikoxy@gmail.com thanks

Back