How do you guys tune ur toms?

kartikbala

I'm interested to know how you pple relatively tune the batter and resonant head of your toms. Do you tune the resonant higher or lower than the batter head?

Is there a strict formula as to how to tune em?

Thx
KB

The most common approach is to tune the resonant head a little higher than the batter head. There are many who argue that both heads must be tuned the same to get the maximum resonance from the drum, but in my experiance and based on a ton of reading I'm convinced a higher resonant gives the toms more "tone".

There is no strict formula - it's always a matter of personal preference.

Cripes--I can't remember. I've only properly tuned a set of toms once, and I haven't changed the heads since then. All I remember is that I did whatever I had to do to get a nice low 'dummmmmmm' out of them.

A dissenter?

Hi Mikeh!

Not to throw a wrench (or this case a drum key) in to the works here but I have always tuned my resonant(bottom) head a bit lower than my batter heads. I got this idea from Dave Weckl , who featured it in a video back in the 90's.

You get that nice pitch bend on the tone when you also detune one lug (usually the closest to you when behind the drums) after the entire drum has been tuned.

nP

Dave who??

nezpierce is also correct, tuning the resonant lower is also an option. I've always felt a lower resonant gives a drier, slightly lower sound with more focus on the attack and the fundamental tone (a "rock sound") whereas a higher resonant places a little more focus on harmonic tones and projection (a "jazz sound").

There is no right or wrong approach, it's a matter of preference as it applies to style, the room and the particular attitude of the drums at any given time.

Whether the batter is higher, lower, or about the same pitch as the resonant
head will vary your overall response....BUT the main thing is to make sure
all the lugs are the same tension. I mean you can detune one for a special
effect, but in general they should all be about equal.

how little is "a little"?

I've tried tuing my resonant head the same, higher and lower than the batter. I agree with Mikeh's about how each tuning affects the overall tone.

Here is a question though. When folks say "a little" higher or lower, what are you talking about? To some folks a "little" might mean 1/8 turn of a lug all the way around, but this translates into a pretty big change in tone. I usually aim for 1 1/2 steps difference (a minor 3rd). I like the tone and sustain I get from this interval. I typically tune the bottom head higher to give that more open, jazzy sound.

I always try to tune to intervals (normally a 3rd or a 4th). Even though drums are a percussive instrument - you will get the best tone by understanding and applying basic melodic tuning concepts.

That being said, some drums on certain days won't cooperate and you need to do whatever makes that drum happy at that particular time and place - which may not always lend itself to a specific interval.

i always tune the heads to where the drum naturally resonates. Sometimes I go a bit higher than what the drum resonates at.

..The way I tune my heads is very stressfully. I am very impatient to sit there and fiddle with something until it sounds right...so I take the lazy way. I take some toilet paper...about 2 or 3 squares..i fold it up and then put it under the tom. I stick it on with electrical tape and boom my toms have no ring. I have a DW set and usually DW's are harder to tune than other drumsets..so I have to take my time!! What heads does everybody like best. Im liking Evans Hydraulics right now

What Heads

For rock/funk I like the Evans G2's (or if I can't get Evans - Remo Pinstripes). For jazz I really like the Aquarian American Vintage, but have also used Evans G1's or Ambassadors.

Normally use an Evans EQ 3 on the kick. Prefer the Evans Single ply Dry Vent on snare but also use Remo coated Ambassadors.

Back