How am I doing?

astoebe

Hey, I am working on a project for church and just did the first drum track. I would really really really appreciate it if you would give me some feedback. I am pretty happy with everything I think, I do feel like the kick sound is a little weak though. If you have any suggestions or criticism I would love to hear it, thanks...

www.clemson.edu/~stoeber/lordmosthigh.wav

Doesn't sound like you're doing too bad at all as far as I can tell! Sounds a little dry for my personal taste so far, but it certainly seems that you've got some nice basic sounds on the go, there. And the acoustic guitar sounds lovely!

Nice work.

Phil.

Thanks for the input....as far as dry do you mean reverb? I haven't put reverb on it yet, just 'cause I wanted to do that last. If there are any other effects you think are lacking please let me know...thanks once again (i tried to give you rep, but it wouldn't let me since i did for your response in the Cubase forum last :) )

Yeh - just a bit of room ambience needed, I'd reckon. (although that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it as it stands - it's just down to personal taste) I assumed that you hadn't yet because it's only rough at the moment, but I'm looking forward to hearing it when it's finished.

Talking of ambience, have you downloaded the SIR freeware convolution reverb yet? It's a fantastic piece of software, and there are loads of sites around with free downloadable impulse responses from gear like Quantecs, Lexis, EMTs and TCs as well as real venues and such - there's links to these places on the site. I D/L'd most of mine from Echochamber. http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html http://www.echochamber.ch/

How did you mic the acoustic, incidentally?

nice sounds there mate

the kick could click through a bit more IMO, what you micing it with??

a credit card taped behind the beater springs to mind

& I'm jealous of your acoustic sound, what'd you use to mic it with????

look forward to the finished result, FTR I agree with Phil it seams a little dry but hey you're still working at it

well done & keep it up
Slidey

Thanks for the advice

On the kick I have a Shure Beta 52a in the hole, and a SP C1 about 5 inches away, I'm thinking maybe I have some phasing issues I need to address with the two which might help...

and the acoustic thing makes me laugh, because I was just making an acoustic scratch track so all I did was put an MXL 991 slightly off axis (pointing up at my head a little) around the 12th fret. I'm not really sure how it ended up sounding so good, mainly dumb luck I guess. I do think my Taylor sounds better than most guitars I've heard though, so I guess that is one reason.

I have heard of SIR, and I will definitely check it out. Thanks...

astoebe said:
Thanks for the advice

On the kick I have a Shure Beta 52a in the hole, and a SP C1 about 5 inches away, I'm thinking maybe I have some phasing issues I need to address with the two which might help...

and the acoustic thing makes me laugh, because I was just making an acoustic scratch track so all I did was put an MXL 991 slightly off axis (pointing up at my head a little) around the 12th fret. I'm not really sure how it ended up sounding so good, mainly dumb luck I guess. I do think my Taylor sounds better than most guitars I've heard though, so I guess that is one reason.

I have heard of SIR, and I will definitely check it out. Thanks...

Taylor huh...says it all

& the phasing I think is probably your problem & with 2 mics I don't think you'll need the credit card trick

the beta 52 for clickiness & the SP C1 maybe a bit fiurther away, I use an AKG tube about 1 foot in front of the kick along with a D112 & more recently a third mic (EV PL80) 3-4 inches from the beater

I am 75% confident that if you hit the phase switch on one of your kick mics it's gonna remove the foundations in your studio....................careful LOL

Great Job

I think you done a great job there mate, and definatly with some more work that could be awsome.

That guitar sound is amazing. Dont you just love it when things work like that!

I think the drums sound great but in the final mix in my opinion they should be a little quieter to bring through that snare track you have behind them as they work so well together.

As mentioned before i think it is just the phasing on your kick that makes it sound a little soft and with just a little more attack on it, it would clean the whole drum track up.

I would love to hear the finished product.

Back