Homerecording vs. drumming

TamaSabian

Peruvian skin beater
Hello, I just wanna have some comments from you, about what would you do if you have to decide between both.
This is a budget issue, so here I come.......

Left hand M-Audio Delta 44
Right hand one xplosion crash 17"

I´ve been playing over 8 years, you know there´s always space for another cymbal.

The homerecording thing started last year, I bought some basic gear, and I´m using SBLive, but I want more inputs to record my drumkit.

Here in Perú you can find Sabian cymbals but you can´t find M-Audio soundcards.

It would be great if you could give me some advice on this.

Thanks in advance

Tama

I'm a drummer who also does alot of home recording - if you are looking for opinions, I say get the M-Audio.

The cymbal will only give you joy when you hit it - and even that will be limited by certain hours in the day (you can't hit the cymbal when the neighbors are sleeping). In addition, the cymbal will give you limited artistic and creative opportunity (you hit it or you don't)

The M-Audio can give you hours of creative opportunities (yes even when the neighbors are asleep).

Now as a drummer, I love my cymbals (I own 30 or 40), but as a musician, I appreciated the creative opportunities my recording gear provides me.

Good luck with your decision!!!

What is the decision here? Either you can spend your money on recording gear/software and be able to capture/share your music with others....or, you can buy a new cymbal and enjoy it all by yourself every time you smack it. That's a no-brainer in my opinion, but it's your cash!

Maybe you´re right drummerbones, but as I said this is a matter of cash and opportunity I can´t buy both things I got to pick one. A friend of mine will be travelling to Denver soon, so I could give him some cash to buy a Delta 44, that´s the opportunity I was talking about.

If you have enough cymbals to play comfortably enough, I'd say go for the Delta 44.

I did the same when my brother went to Georgia, I asked him to buy me a Delta 1010lt (good buy if you can afford it) and some mics.

¿Como va Perú compadre?

¡A echarle ganas!

Now let's keep it in english so this bunch of "gringos" can understand!! ;) :D :D :D

Just joking, I love you guys!

just to balance out the opinions, from a financial perspective, any piece of technology you buy will be worthless and outdated within a year or two but a good cymbal will last a lot longer......plus you can turn it upside down to use as a salad bowl! try that with a pci card!

TamaSabian said:
:D mmmm I don´t like vegetables.

then use it as a wok! stir fry up a bunch of sliced meat with some soy sauce, clean it up then use it as a rain hat walking to your next gig, where you can bash it to your heart's content. many uses for a cymbal. one use for a sound card. see?

plus, how many times do you have compatibility issues with a cymbal? hit it with a stick and it makes a sound. plug a mic into your soundcard and it's supposed to record to disk .......... but ...... well you'll find out soon enough.

have fun with your sound card mr tamasabian. :)

sincerely,
yamahazildjian

why have spanish speaking people so much accents and stuff above all the words? Seems like a lot of work to me when typing.

Greets,
slingerlandpaiste

TamaSabian said:
Maybe you´re right drummerbones, but as I said this is a matter of cash and opportunity I can´t buy both things I got to pick one. A friend of mine will be travelling to Denver soon, so I could give him some cash to buy a Delta 44, that´s the opportunity I was talking about.

being a drummer and home recording enthusiast...I constantly run across these situations! My current situation has me choosing between 3 things: an 8 input recording interface (eg. delta1010lt; a new mixer (soundcraft spirit e6); or a new chinese cymbal (and possibly ride)...

I currently have a delta44....I would go with that choice as it is light years above and beyond an sblive (that's what I used to have)...the quality of your recordings will take a huge step forward with a delta interface. Having said that - you need to keep in mind that you're going to need preamps, mics, etc. as well as the interface.

This thing never ends!!! , you always need more and more equipment. It doesn´t happens with drumming, you could play with a decent drumkit and a basic cymbal setup, then after a while you will start thinking of replacing this or that, or buying a new drumkit, things like that.
With homerecording you never stop, since I started I´ve been buying things one after another. I have mics and a mixer already, I will need monitors later, some compression external effect, preamps, etc......so as I said you can´t stop buying!!!. :(

Studiowise theres a rule: Any drummer will be twice as good if he threw away half of his cymbals.

How many and what type of cymbals do you have now?

Id go for the recording equipment

pipeline is spot on... the fewer cymbals when recording the better... this is a tough decision, because i'm really itching for a 17".... but i think you will be happier with the soundcard, for at least the next 18 months

Back