Hi-hat technique

leavings

I know this is a recording website and all...but I just bought a drum set and I was wondering if someone could help me out with a few bits of technique. First, if I'm keeping a beat with the hi-hat and I release it, do I want to hit it with the sticks when I lower it back down, or should I hold off for that beat (eighth note, quarter note, whatever). The second question is about my back, which has been killing me every time I play for longer than 10 minutes. Any suggestions as to how I could adjust my position so that stops happening?

Thanks,
Peter

The hi hat technique really depends on what the song calls for, over time you'll find what suits you best. As for back pain, coming from personal experience as a major sloucher, make sure you sit up nice and straight and all the drums and cymbals are in your reach. If you stick out your arms, with the elbows still slightly bent, you should be able to strike any drum or cymbal you want with ease. Also try checking the height of your stool and how comfortable your feet are on the pedals. Another good investment for you may be a good quality throne with a backrest, plenty of different companies make them, take a look online at places such as musiciansfriend.com or music123.com for reference of stools with backrests.

get rid of that frisbey you are using for a set. it should be illegal to make a drum throne with less than 3" of padding... lol also, your throne should be set at the height that your thighs are parallel with the floor. a back rest on your chair will help too, but that would be a bit more moolaaa

Yea, definitely get a new throne. I like the Pearl Roc and Soc - fits me nicely and has lots of padding for comfort. Tama also makes a very comfortable deluxe throne. The back rest never helped me because it made me slouch more. I have major back problems now after years of practicing leaning against the wall...

Roc and soc

Milkman said:
Yea, definitely get a new throne. I like the Pearl Roc and Soc - fits me nicely and has lots of padding for comfort. Tama also makes a very comfortable deluxe throne. The back rest never helped me because it made me slouch more. I have major back problems now after years of practicing leaning against the wall...

Once you sit on a rock n soc you'll never go back!
My problem is I can't afford a $100 throne and a $50
dollar backrest...I wish they were cheaper :(

the best throne i ever had is two damn milk crates stacked on top of each other. not really as uncomfortable as you think. and plenty of support. lol.
seriously.

well yeh drum stool is important yes....... but i'd address your technique before looking at your stool. eg if you playing punk you'll be sitting 2" off teh ground as is teh style at the moment. This is really mess up your back and can cause spasms in your legs, also are you playing Traditional or matched? and your style of music? also could we see a pic of your set up? that way we can sort it out.
personally i used to have the same problems but this was due to me being a kid (13) and i wasnt physically big enough. Now after ive grown and my kits positioning improved the problem has gone away. :)

As has already been pointed out the main things to consider to avoid back problems:

1. Don't slouch!!! Keep your back straight
2. The height of the throne should allow your upper leg to be parallel with the floor
3. Have the kit set up to avoid reaching too far to hit any given object
4. Have a throne that is solid enough to support your weight (a back rest can help you leep your back straight.
5. Warm up befor you play (light stretching, jumping jacks, etc)

Drums are a pyhsical instrument, you need to keep your body in shape.

Regarding hi-hat technique. If you open the hat (while doing a fill, or whatever) it is common to bring the hat down on 1 (or wahtever downbeat)with the foot and then pick-up the groove with the stick. In essence, you rarely play the hat with the foot and the stick on the same beat.

Candidly, most drummers keep the tempo on the hat (1/4 notes or 1/8 notes) with the foot even while playing fills, etc (unless they are playing a douple kick riff).

Ever heard the joke:

Patient- "Doctor, when I do this... My back hurts"

Doctor- "Stop doing that"

the reality of back pain is that you may always have it. If I play drums too long, or even guitar, my armpits ache and my hands hurt and want to go numb. Its a genetic flavour of Carpole tunnel (sp?!?). Just gotta live on.

D

I read an article in modern drummer long, long ago where someone had done some research into having your knees directly over your ankles for a perfect 90 degree angle to reduce back stress. not sure if it's true since i've sat that way ever since, but now my back only hurts from carrying gear in. :-)

i have never had back pain whilst drumming but it has bent my back into quite an awkward shape. compared to alot of drummers i sit quite high, almost on top of the drums instead of behind them, but i sit amazingly close to the kit. spend some time testing new positions and hights until you find the one that is most comfortable and ergonomic. dont be afraid to adjust your drum set up either.

On any drum chart that marks open hi-hats, the next beat has a hi-hat note. Play it with the stick. You may want to drop the "down" note if you are playing a groove that necessitates it, but as a rule, play the note.

If you are playing 16ths (hi hat is often open for 2 (R L) stick notes in this case) play these notes with the sticks as well. It sounds great.

As far as back pain is concerned: Play with your fingers, wrists, and forearms. Limit shoulder movement as much as possible. Improper technique causes pain, whether it is blisters or muscle aches.

As far as the hihat thing, dont stress about it. Focus on doing whatever you instuctor tells you, and as you learn you will be able to play ALL the different ways a hihat can be played just be changing your mind. Playing the hihat in the way youve questioned is a matter of style, or what the music calls for.

the rolling stones drummer doesnt even hit the hihat when he hits the snare most times. He usually drops that note. Its all about your own style that you WILL aquire.

Best advice, PLAY, PLAY.

I don't really have an instructor...I taught myself guitar so I figured I should be able to teach myself drums as well and just rely on my friends to tell me when I'm doing something tragically wrong. But I AM playing, every day for about an hour total. I can't play for much longer than 20 minutes at a time because of my back, but I'm taking all these suggestions.

Thanks,
Peter

If your playing that much, youll eventually get all of it. Ive played drums for 15+ years and am just switching to guitar. Drums are way easier IMO to learn. Youll work that hihat thing out on your own, and probably realize there are times to play it either way.

D

The older I get

I used to play too Slayer an Dreamtheatre when I was young, but now after playing for 20 years I don't have that endurance.(It's just a fact).
Now, I have realized & developed a way to play fast without all the effort.
More Dynamics and better Ergonomics. :)
Is there any reference material that could possibly help all of us? BD

Back