Help with upgrading my kit

philsaudio

Hi:

About 3 years ago I discovered my wife was a natural drummer. After her first time playing out with me at a blues jam she asked for a kit. She is short and girlish in stature. I also did not know if this was going to be a passion or just a one time thing.

I bought her a Pearl Rhythm Travler set back then. It was suitable size wise for her. Of course I started to play them once they were in the studio. I was a complete spastic then and it took me over a year to be able to keep a beat while concentrating 100 %. I can now keep a basic beat and talk while doing it. I am no drummer, but I love to scratch a drum track and use it to write a song. The kit is also used during ocassional recording sessions for friends bands.

The kit stays in the basement studio 99% of the time. We rarely take the kit out to play, but that happens once in a bluemoon. I have a 8 mics dedicated to the kit in the studio. It records rather well. I have been upgrading it for a while and the last part of the Rhythem Travler left is the 20"x8" kick drum.

Here is what we have in the kit now.

*Pearl 10"x9" forum tom with pinstrip batter, stock resonant
*Pearl 12"x8" export select tom w/ pinstrip batter, stock resonant
*Pearl 14"x11" vintage 80's tom w/ pinstrip batter, Ebony resonant
*Pearl 20"x8" Rhythm Travler bass with EQ3 batter, stock resonant head with hole at 3 o'clock.

*Rhythm Travler Hi Hat with Sabian AA El Sabor 14" Hats
*Paiste 2002 Heavy 18" rock-jazz ride
*Paiste 2002 18" crash
*Zildian K 10" splash
*Zildian A 16" crash
*Rhythm Travler kick pedal

I think I did a good job tuning the kit up thanks to Prof. Sounds Drum Tuning Bible http://www.drumweb.com/profsound.shtml

HERE IS MY PROBLEM ---- I need a new bass drum.

1) The Rhythm Travler Bass drum is not loud enough to give me a woody., but the tone to the mic is not bad.
2) The Rhythm Travler Bass drum is practically tipping over with the full size toms on it.

HERE ARE MY OPTIONS

1) get a new kick drum for the kit.
2) get a new kit.

OPtion 1) New Bass Drum
I was looking at the Pearl FX1620B Forum Bass Drum.
*It is 20" so it ought to be the right size for the wife.
*It is s twice as long as the current drum so perhaps I can get my woody.
*I can re use my EQ3 head on it.
*The price is right at under $250.

Option 1a) New Bass Drum
I was also looking at the Export 22x18 bass drum
*perhaps to big for the wife
*I know this will give me wood.
*With new heads this option is around $350.

OPtion 2) New Kit
*Get a new set of shells or a new kit. I have convinced myself I need the (PDP) Pacific CX set. Possibly just the shells but perhaps the whole kit. This endevor will cost me between 700 (shells only) - 900(shells and hardware) and I am pretty broke right now.
*It is possible the set will be to big for my little wife.

-------Questions----------------------------------

1) Is that 20x16" forum drum any good? I feel that with the Prof. Sound tuning method I should be able to get it to sound pretty good, especially recorded, but will it give me the woody when I play?

2) Would the maple CX set be any good for recording or am I being convinced this is a great set by drummers who play live? For all I know it will sound horrible in the studio.

Your opinions, advice and recommendations are requested and appreciated.

Regards
Phil

Last edited:
I dont see how a 22" export is to big for the wife, I mean how small is she? Like little kid small? Cause I know my son who is 4 yrs old cant reach the kick peddle, but he is 3' 8" tall.

So I guess I figure if your wife can reach the peddle then the size of the bass drum wouldnt really matter, would it? I mean everything is adjustable as far as dropping the toms lower and tilting them and all that good crap.

As far as my son goes, I could probably make this full size kit playable for him if I were to drop the seat very low, tilt the toms almost sideways. But the bad thing is that the snare stand is as low as it will go and that wouldnt be low enough if the seat was dropped like that.

But I bet you could go with a 22" and make it work just fine, she is taller then 3' 8" tall isnt she?

DevilizhStylez said:
I dont see how a 22" export is to big for the wife, I mean how small is she? Like little kid small? Cause I know my son who is 4 yrs old cant reach the kick peddle, but he is 3' 8" tall.

So I guess I figure if your wife can reach the peddle then the size of the bass drum wouldnt really matter, would it? I mean everything is adjustable as far as dropping the toms lower and tilting them and all that good crap.

As far as my son goes, I could probably make this full size kit playable for him if I were to drop the seat very low, tilt the toms almost sideways. But the bad thing is that the snare stand is as low as it will go and that wouldnt be low enough if the seat was dropped like that.

But I bet you could go with a 22" and make it work just fine, she is taller then 3' 8" tall isnt she?

She is 5'2" and and can reach the pedals fine. The difference in this small rhythm travler bass drum is it is 2" shorter than the export and the tom mounts are about 6-8" closer to the batter head than they are on the export bass drum, due to the 8" depth of the rhythem travler bass drum. She has this kit adjusted for little reach on the toms and the cymbals.

I guess I will have to take her down to the store to try the large kit.

Phil

i know exactly what your talking about... that extra 2" makes a huge diference to the drummers ability to move around the kit freely...

bad news, the 20 wont fill out a room the way a 22 does... the good news is that unless you or your wife is an acceptionally hard hitter, i doubt very much that you would need the extra volume... i have a strong feeling that the forum b/d will be louder than your current b/d and will have a much more rounded sound..

as far as recording goes, i think there are very few people who can tell the difference b/w a 20 and a 22

If your going for a bass drum u want to get the Pearl. However, I like Yamaha Kick Drums better.

For a new set, depending on ur budget, get a Yamaha, Pacific, or another Pearl. I prefer Yamaha Stage Customs. They are rather expensive but def. worth the price. They sound crisp, clear, and have that very professinonal feeling to them. Also, try and get a Zildjian Hi-Hat, and an Iron Cobra Double bass Pedal. These are only suggestions.

Found my drum - Now about heads

Hi:
I found a clean Pearl Export 22x16 yesterday for $50.00 at the local music-go-round. HORRAY!

I got it home, did the Prof sound drum tuning bible tune up on it and now it is not satisfying me.

It has a pearl resonant head, black with white logo, and I cut a 4" hole at 3 oclock for the mic. It has a pinstripe on the batter side.

I think I got the little Rhythem Travler kick to sound better than this one does. Of course it had the Evans EQ3 on the batter side.

Here is my question.

The batter pinstrip has a little hole in the front skin, where it looks like the shaft part of the kick pedal was eating into the head.

Can anyone opine on if this hole has ruined the head?

Thanks
Phil

Re: all new kit

sellthekids said:
Go with an all maple pacific cx series.

After this whole extravaganza making my perfect peral frankenstein kit I only can wish I knew enough to buy the PDP CX kit righ from the git go. I would not only have a beautiful maple set I would probably have spent about the same amount of money and 1/10th the time and agrivation.

thanks all who responded.
Phil

Yes, with a hole in it, I would say it is ruined. Also, since you got the drum used who knows how old the head is? Last, I've never been a fan of Pinstripes on kick....

Back