Help me improve my playing!

Elton Bear

Unregistered Abuser
Hey all, I've just got footage back from a gig we did at Newcastle's 2000 seat City Hall. It's the first (and only) time I've played to an audience of that size, and I was trying really hard to make the kit sound good; hence my stupid concentration face :eek:

ANYWAY - I was playing along, trying to hit the drums as hard as possible, and the cymbals as quietly as possible, and yet the drums just get lost in the back which is a little disappointing.
I'm just looking for a few tips on how to improve my technique in terms of getting the best sound from the kit - the drumming is not that exciting or intricate but that's not my bag.

Here's the vid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCgFFXo2Hsc

Cheers!

Oh, by the way - sorry for the long intro tape, I ripped it straight from the DVD that shows the duo's audition first...

wow, kick ass venue... good job, good drumming. The band sounded solid (although the behind the head solo seemed a bit out of place).

To be honest, in a live show that big, there's only so much you can do technique wise to get the drums to stand out. It's mostly up to the FOH engineer at that point. I think you did the right thing, just remember to hit the drums fairly loud, and consistent. The couple times I've gotten to play festival type shows, all I can do it try to make the drums sound good from my own perspective and just trust the sound guys to make it all work up front. Hell, half the time I can barely hear the rest of the band anyways (I've never had good luck with the monitor guys... ahhh to dream, one of these days I can afford IEMs and have my own monitor controls by my side).

Yeah that'd be great. We only did the one song for a charity gig, so I didn't have time to tell them to TURN THE DRUMS DOWN - I think the one thing I don't need to have blasting is my own kick!

More often than not, I'm still working on finger technique so I don't have to do that to get the volume...

Back