Help me choose a hi hat

Greg_L

Banned
I'm torn, and I don't mean anally.

I've been tapping on these fuckers a bunch, and I really like these two:

Paiste 15" 2002 Sound-Edge
http://www.paiste.com/e/cymbals.php?category=3&family=5&action=category&menuid=258

Paiste RUDE 14" Sound-Edge
http://www.paiste.com/e/cymbals.php?category=3&family=6&action=category&menuid=265

The 2002 has more midrange fullness and a bigger sound, but I'm wondering how it cuts through a shitload of guitars. The RUDE is beefy and loud, but I think it may be a little brighter than I want. I love the crispness of both with their heavy rippled bottom. Hehe, heavy rippled bottom. Anyway, they both seem to give me what I want, but I can't decide. I think I'm leaning towards the RUDE. :o

The various Zildjian Mastersounds are okay-ish, but they seem kind of chintzy compared to these two and my other cymbals are all Paistes so I guess I want to stay with the brand.

Listen to the sound clips at the Paiste site and give me some opinions, if you don't mind.

No-brainer.... RUDE all the way. They're great for recording and live, will cut through anything and are very versitile...

Here's what I use and it gives me more sizzle.......

I use a 15" K hi hat bottom on the bottom and a 15" Custom A fast crash for the top.
I adjust the screw at the bottom to keep the two almost touching at one point and set the two sort of close together.
It took me a longtime of experimenting to get this sound and it really works well, especially if you want a very bright hat sound.

(For some reason I can't quote the image)

You must spread some reputation around...

Greg, I'd say go for the 14", I have 15" and they cut through anything you'd like, but they also overpower the acoustic acts I play with and (probably more relevant to you) can cut too much on a recording.

You must spread some reputation around...

Greg, I'd say go for the 14", I have 15" and they cut through anything you'd like, but they also overpower the acoustic acts I play with and (probably more relevant to you) can cut too much on a recording.

I don't do any live acoustic stuff, but too much hi-hat in the overheads is definitely a concern with my home recordings. I think the 14" RUDE's are louder than the 15" 2002's. Live that would be good, but at home they may be too loud.

I play live against 2 100W tube guitar amps and like 800 watts of Ampeg bass power, so I need a big sound.

Yeah, I realise the acoustic thing isn't really your scene ;)

I confess I haven't heard the particular cymbals you mention, but there's my 2 cents on hi-hat sizes, having played a few 14", 15" and 13" pairs.

Yeah, I realise the acoustic thing isn't really your scene ;)

I confess I haven't heard the particular cymbals you mention, but there's my 2 cents on hi-hat sizes, having played a few 14", 15" and 13" pairs.

I've pretty much made my mind up now. I'm going with the 15" 2002's.

hey

i use a zildjian 14'' zht top which is alot like the paiste's. and then an A mastersound bottom. its cuts through awesomely live. and sounds perfect on recordings. WHEN IN DOUBT.... MIX HATS!. also the new beat hats soud awesome when you put the bottom one on top and top on the bottom. those are the only hats i would suggest doing that to though. other hats could be harmed by doing that.

Done deal on the 15" 2002's. :)

Argh!
As a non-drummer I must protest.
My drummer had those and I HATED them. How clunky sounding can you get? Then I heared the Rudes. even worse.
Luckily (for me) he got a pair of the 14" Signature ones used off of E-bay.
Now man, those babies are sweet! I about had a fit when he said that if he bought them new they would have been over $400.

Troll

Argh!
As a non-drummer I must protest.
My drummer had those and I HATED them. How clunky sounding can you get? Then I heared the Rudes. even worse.
Luckily (for me) he got a pair of the 14" Signature ones used off of E-bay.
Now man, those babies are sweet! I about had a fit when he said that if he bought them new they would have been over $400.

Troll

I set up my entire drum set completely based on what all the guitarists, bassists and singers I've ever played wanted. It was my desire to please their every wish and ignore my own desires.:rolleyes:

NOT!

Lol. I usually take whatever the guitarists recommend and do the exact opposite. I don't even acknowledge bass players or singers. :D

Back