help choosing a set

tilinmyowngrave

ive been playing for 4 months. i have definately gotten better, and I'm saving up money. ive been playing on a really cheap, messed up set i got on ebay, and over the summer i wanna get a job for money. so here are my questions:

Sabian or Paiste (no zildjian)? I play hard, but i also like precision and variety in my cymbals. I love Sabian's Paragon series, but I also love all of the Paiste cymbals... so which should i choose?

Which is the best drum set? i really want something that can really cut through anything, very loud and powerful, but it doesnt sound like crap. I prefer deep and VERY loud bass drums, loud snares, and tone rich toms.

Thank you for the advice.

Sry, i forgot to mention I'm also learning Tabla (Indian drums). For those of you who know anything about it, what do you consider to be a good set? Is it better to get a tabla set or a drum machine to simulate the tabla?

Tablas are hard instruments. You will have to play them for a long time to get anywhere and you will probably need a teacher to sound authentic and have good form.

tilinmyowngrave said:
Sabian or Paiste (no zildjian)? I play hard, but i also like precision and variety in my cymbals. I love Sabian's Paragon series, but I also love all of the Paiste cymbals... so which should i choose?

I tried the Paragons at the NAMM show when they came out a year ago. to tell you the truth, I really wasn't thrilled with 'em. They are very 'focused'. They have a specific range of tones that's very small for each cymbal, almost a specific pitch. They really don't have any shimmer or what I would call 'sparkle'. That can be very useful in the studio or if your live with all the drums mic'd.

I dunno, i just like more overtones than the Paragon series has. On the other hand, Sabian is always priced better than Paiste. Good Paiste's are gonna cost ya. I've got alot of them and I baby them, even though I can hit really hard. If you're a hard hitter with a limited budget I'd go with Sabian. Just not the Paragon's IMO.

Back