Has anyone tried a Gretsch Catalina Club?

fretwire3d

First of all I don't really play drums.

I was wanting to buy a drum set to learn a little more and then record. Anyway, all i know is they are very small, which i think i like. I've heard some incredible sounding small kits. I'll mostly be adding onto a drum machine and it will be used only in my studio. It will be in a live room with an emphasis on the room mics similiar to the Flaming Lip's drum sound.

They have:
# 18" x 16" Bass
# 12" x 8" Tom
# 14" x 14" Floor Tom
# 14" x 5" Snare

I play guitar, record, and write all the songs songs for two shoegazer bands.

What the advantage or disadvantage of such a small drum set? Mostly, whats the advantage or disadvantage of a small kick in the studio? Anyone have them? Anyone hate them? ect.

Own 'em, love 'em. Smaller drums are easier to record IMO, and the smaller kick actually has a deeper fuller sound.....great set of drums for the money...

these are actually really good sounding kits. the only downside is the really long lugs make it kinda a pain to tune. also check in to the 5 pc version, comes with 8", 10", 13" toms. that would be my choice. same price as the 4pc.

fretwire3d said:
Mostly, whats the advantage or disadvantage of a small kick in the studio? Anyone have them? Anyone hate them? ect.
Smaller bass drums usually offer a tighter, more defined tone for recording. A good deal of this is due to decreased low frequency overtones which are common in larger/deeper shells.

I haven't had the fortune of trying the Catalina's yet, but can tell you as a former Gretsch owner, that Gretsch builds drums that are designed to stand the test of time. I was beating my 60's kit in a death metal band for many years. Really, I only upgraded because the hardware of the day was sub-par for what I needed. Of course that is no longer the case.

I actually bought a Catalina Birch set for recording drum parts on. I'm no drummer, but every drummer that's come in has really liked it. Everything seems well built and I believe it'll do it's job for a long time.

fretwire3d said:
First of all I don't really play drums.

I was wanting to buy a drum set to learn a little more and then record. Anyway, all i know is they are very small, which i think i like. I've heard some incredible sounding small kits. I'll mostly be adding onto a drum machine and it will be used only in my studio. It will be in a live room with an emphasis on the room mics similiar to the Flaming Lip's drum sound.

They have:
# 18" x 16" Bass
# 12" x 8" Tom
# 14" x 14" Floor Tom
# 14" x 5" Snare

I play guitar, record, and write all the songs songs for two shoegazer bands.

What the advantage or disadvantage of such a small drum set? Mostly, whats the advantage or disadvantage of a small kick in the studio? Anyone have them? Anyone hate them? ect.

great set of drums, the kick is amazing!

Bigsnake00 said:
and the smaller kick actually has a deeper fuller sound.....
No it doesnt have a deeper sound by any means unless you have tuned your 22" or 20" really tight. but it does have a tight punchy kick sound. And if its for recording the size is ideal. and the hardware is good and strong so it is ideal for a studio. Very nice kit. Just make sure you get good cymbals on it!

Back