Guitar Player in need of advice!

Neonlite

I play guitar and bass and like to record everything from slow accoustical folk to grinding heavy metal. The problem is, I am not a drummer and don't know any drummers. :( Although, I have a simple Gretsch set, I am not skilled enough to come close to matching my guitar playing, nor could I mic them up and record them easily even if I was.

Sooooo, I am looking for a good digital drumming solution to enhance my drumless tracks. Keep in mind I am not a percussionist, so it needs to be fairly simple, but not a bunch of canned beats & fills, either. I record on my computer using Cakewalk-Guitar. Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!

-Scott

Fruityloops is VERY cool, but to make it work the best you need the full version of the program.

Sonic Foundry's Acid loop program has downloadable files and CD's available online. They're phenomenal, but after you spend the money on the program, then the discs, then the files, you might be approaching the cost of a good drum machine.

I was able to get free trial versions of both programs, but that was a while back and i don't know if they're doing it anymore

Thanks! I'll have to decide which way to go. I have to do some research on drum machines because I have no idea how they work or how long it takes to program a modereately complex song. Thanks again.

Digitech Trio Band Creator.I believe this is what you need! " You can finally have a band mate that won't bail on you with the Digitech Trio Band Creator. Whether it be for backup in performances or as an awesome tool for practice, you can use the Digitech Trio to auto-generate drum and bass parts for any of seven different genres, like rock, pop, and jazz, just by listening to you play. Change up the sound by picking one of twelve song styles for each genre and using either 3/4 or 4/4. If you need to recall a whole song, it's no problem; the Trio can learn and recall up to three different song parts for you to play with. With a slew of controls to play with and a highly intelligent system, you can use the Trio to build the backing you always wanted.Good Pick'N Friend.

Why the facepalm? Are you responding in disgust to the previous post?

I have a friend who is a rep and product developer for digitech. Not a salesman, but an actual seasoned session musician of high caliber with many touring and recording credits.
He was involved in the band creator project.

I gotta say, it's a pretty cool pedal. I wouldn't use it for recording, but for a songwriter who is not familiar with drums, or programing, its an easy to use, excellent tool.
As a recording device.....not so much. Mono out and no midi.
They are working on a new version that has some more features.

But as a songwriting and pre production tool for those who don't play drums or know a drummer it's pretty cool.

My buddy uses it all the time to see how different drumming styles fit into a tune when writing. Then when the drummer shows up it's reall easy to convey what he has in mind for the song.

For actual recording a real drummer is used, but for getting the ideas down , the beat machine is used.

When I read through the thread, I was thinking "why did nobody suggest EZ Drummer?". Then I saw the dates. EZ Drummer was another 12 years away when this thread was created.

Oh shit! I just looked at the dates. Haha!

Original poster may have given up, is producing grammys, or be dead for all we know.
:D

Yeah, I realized all that after I saw the thread on my laptop, rather than my phone. funny. :D

Back