Great Sounding vs. Real Sounding Drums

BenignVanilla

I've noticed in the few recordings I've done, that when we're done with the drums, and you listen to them...they sound very "real". By real, I mean...the sound of the drummer playing in our studio and the sound of the recording is very close. You almost can't decipher the recording from the live play. When we did this, I was elated.

Then I began mixing with other instruments, and now the drums sound dull to me. So I listened to reference tracks, and I hear a difference. Pro recordings have a certain __________ that makes them sound great in the recording, but not quite "real".

What is ___________?

Does anyone know what I mean? Am I making sense?

Does anyone know what I mean? Am I making sense?
Hmm. Maybe. It could be a few different things but let's try this one. When's the last time you (or any if us) heard kits that weren't quite heavily compressed in production?
I will say it seems that the first mix of good raw solid sounding tracks in general can have a certain amount of thick natural quality that gets sacrificed somewhat as things get trimmed tucked in.

if you already have all the compression and mixing set and done, then you should try using the psp wintage warmer.

most pro studios use analog compressor/limiters for their drums. the effects plug-in i mentioned sounds very close to the real thing.

and the issue with the not quite real is that recently it seems like pro studios have started to use acoustic triggering on the drums. im not sure though, but it sounds like it.

A lot of producers also use samples - not just samples but they lay a sample under the original to give it more punch. This works nicely with snare drums and kicks, not for toms as you would hear a difference in the pitch if the original and sample aren't on the same key.

The short answer,

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNN

A lot of producers also use samples - not just samples but they lay a sample under the original to give it more punch. This works nicely with snare drums and kicks, not for toms as you would hear a difference in the pitch if the original and sample aren't on the same key.

Wow, that's intense. I might have to try that sometime. I really had No idea they were combining the two. Crazy stuff.

Have you ever done a mix with compression on the drums, then send it out to be mastered and all of a sudden the drum are like, waaaaayyy too compressed?

Don't add to much compression when mixing. A little goes a long way. You'll be surprised at how seemingly lifeless drums spring back to life after mastering. Just get it to sound good and balanced and do a master.

Of course, personal taste and experience trumps.

Wow, that's intense. I might have to try that sometime. I really had No idea they were combining the two. Crazy stuff.

I do it a bunch, especially in heavy rock/metal mixes where the drums are competing with a wall o' guitars. Just layering in a kick sample and snare sample underneath helps the attack cut through, without making things sound "artificial". Especially with kick drums - a sample just underneath will give you that nice "click" to cut though, and the natural kick sound provides the "oomph".

...And the Necro-Post of the Week Award goes to..... The Swill Man!

I would assume the OP got it together sometime in the last 3 years.

Take your pick from compression, gating, EQ and samples

And the answer is.....................^^ Yup^^, but too much compression and too much gate can sound bad and real artificial. EQ is an important part of the answer but you need to know exactly what you're doing (try it isolated and then again in the mix). I have a philosophical problem with samples, but some people use them........... a lot.

When you're alone in the studio and trying to mix and master here's a problem that we all have (well maybe not all of us, but I'm certainly guilty) you try something and you like how it sounds, so you decide to add even more cause it will sound better, right? Dead wrong! That's how most of us totally F/U an otherwise okay track. Do as little as possible to get the effect and your mixes won't sound false. You're out to enhance the instrument and make it sound like itself (but more so ;) ) not to dominate it with electronic effects.

Back