goofy percussion idea

Tapehead

On one recording I did I wanted a bit of a different percussion sound so I took an old water jug--one of those big blue ones used in water coolers--turned it upside down and gave it the conga treatment. Different, and quite musical. Now I'm hunting around the house looking for other things to beat into sonic submission. Anyone else try this kind of stuff?

I keep a large glass jar filled with beer caps, change, etc. around that makes an incredibly evil shaker. My little brother insisted once that I build him a drumset out of pots and pans. It wasn't a bad sound if you grew up listening to Tom Waits.

John Cage invented the "prepared piano" he would stick metal, wood wedges, books, whatever in a piano, when played it suonded like a cool precussion troupe.

ametth

When I was Down in Mexico this past winter there was a guy down there who played one of those big blue water jugs and he KICKED ass with the thing. Couldn't believe the sounds he got out of that BIG BLUE JUG!

[This message has been edited by Slater (edited 03-23-2000).]

I made a drum kit entirely out of garden pots of various sizes. it worked alright, it gave some good sounds!

Back