Good studio snare drum AND how do you tune yours?

Nick The Man

Well, I think my next purchase is going to be a snare drum. I want one that will be versatile in the studio. I know they probably all are and it depends more on the tuning.

Any suggestions on some nice snare drums?

Im trying to stay within the FREE-$250(maybe300) range.

I have a few snares for different things, but the one that is the most versatile in my arsenal is the Mapex Black Panther black chrome model (14x5.5). This one clearly handles most types of music and consistently sounds stellar. Cheers, Rez

I have a few snares for different things, but the one that is the most versatile in my arsenal is the Mapex Black Panther black chrome model (14x5.5). This one clearly handles most types of music and consistently sounds stellar. Cheers, Rez

Ha, thats funny, thats actually the one i have here right now. It's a friends but I've been messing with it. I got it cranked right now, its pretty ringy and I don't really like the sound on the recording. Any suggestions tuning wise?

I would start by checking the condition of the reso head - it might need to be replaced if it's old and has been stretched. Then check for even tuning on both heads. What head is on the batter side?

Sometimes the Panther needs a little taming - especially when cranked real tight, and it that case I'll use moon gel, tape or even a Zero Ring to tame it. Ultimately, though, with the right tuning you shouldn't need to deaden it at all.

A lot depends on the player too. I've found that by striking the drum in the center I get a good solid controlled sound. Strike outside that sweet spot and the ring starts getting more pronounced.

I freaking LOVE my Black Panther Premium Brass 14x5.5. Holy crap that baby is loud and cracky. I keep it tuned pretty "medium" to get a nice dark rock "crack" but without all the super-high overtones. It rings a bit at that tuning, but I just drop a small ring on it and it muffles perfectly. I've tuned it pretty high too and it sounds like a pistol firing. Very cracky. Very nice all-around snare in my semi-limited experience.

I could try a nice medium on it, im having a hard enough time getting the same pitch out of both heads.. dammit all, i hate tuning

I second the Ludwig supraphonic. It is the most recorded snare ever.

You don't have to get the same pitch from both heads.

I just got a Yamaha Copper Nouveau 14x6.5 and this thing is amazing. Even with the crappy stock heads it is the best sounding snare I've ever played. I tuned it low, medium, and high and I love it at any tension. It gets a little choked off when its tuned REALLY tight but other than that it gives a nice strong sound. It sounds like a cross between wood and brass.

I'm firmly on the "get a Supra" podium as well. After I got mine used on eBay for $80, I sold all of my other snares and just kept an old mahogany shell snare as a secondary option.

Seriously, those drums are just fantastic. They hold a number of good tuning ranges, and it's very tough to make them sound bad. I threw some 42 strand snares on mine, and it's been pretty much the only snare I've used for the past 4 years.

With an Acro, they're almost all a dull gray with 8 lugs, the Supra has 10 lugs and a shiny finish. I don't care how pitted a Supra looks, there's a 95% chance it's still going to sound great with new heads on it. Some of the newer Acros are black, and a 6.5x14 older Acro is fairly hard to find, although they are out there.

Back