Favourite Drummers

always great to have this list of drummers at hand, in case my band's drummer in hospital while touring ;)

I myself am a drummer too (or atleast I was for years untill guitars started to grap my total attention). I'm into funky-groove-oddtiming-heavy-steady stuff. Anything goes, as long as the beat keeps on flowing. Any one can play the drums...
but there are a few masters:

** Danny Carey
Truly the master. The things he does are truly amazing, odd-timing drummer number one besides having great feeling to flow on every timing he is also a great hands-feet-independant-thingy drummer dude. If you are not familair with this guy, please listen to the last TOOL albums: Aenima & Lateralus. Take a good listen an be amazed

** Mike Portnoy
Duh, real master in heavy odd signature drumming. Although he tends to loose that all important 'feeling' in the Dreamtheater tracks.. Too much ego I guess. But this man can hit!!

** Will Calhoun
Ofcourse, the Living Color drummer... I think he's a underestimated drummer. This guy really has a groove

** Dave Abbruzzese
The semi-first drummer of PearlJam.
He's got amazing flow... and not afraid to hit harder but gentlier than any one.

I've seen Mitch Mitchel in one of these thread-replies and must say; Mitch is a great drummer, but he should have stayed playing jazz.. Although the hendrix-mitch combination was ultimate! (but sometimes to much chaos... 2 masters on one stage)

Mike Portnoy, king of heavy odd signature drumming??? I don't think so.........Tomas Haake slaughters him in that department.........and in the technical fusion/jazzy drumming department too.........Portnoy is overrated just becaue makes drum videos>>>

just my opinion.... must say the meshuggah drummer is cool too!

Hey, you guys ever heard me drumming?? or my band's drummer? we've got a lot in comming according to drumming. both influenced by euh.. Danney Carey, Mike Portnoy, the meshuggah dude (musical wise), steward copeland.

maybe worth checking, dunno.. could also be a shameless plug.. u decide.

check www.mobiasdust.com for some really odd-timing stuff (yeah, even the drummer gets it haha)

greets, ro

In no particular order except first...

Neil Peart - Rush
Scott Rockenfield - Queensryche
Casey Grillo - Kamelot
Mark Zonder - Fates Warning
Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater
Chris Partridge - Partridge Family:p

Hey Roman, your music is killer! I only got the chance to hear the first song but it was 8 minutes long and awesome! Where are you guys from? The US? Here's my band's web site - www.armanideathmachine.com

The mp3 samples on there aren't from our studio recorded cd and were recorded in our DJ players living room on a shitty computer so don't judge us from them.......there's also a 30 sec. live video clip in the media section........we sound more Fear Factory/Slipknot/Machine Head/Ill Nino sounding>>>

thanx m1234!
We're from the Netherlands/Holland, that's in Europe in case you wondered...

as of this moment where busy with a track that's writting in 5/8 + 7/8 and combinations of these timings. And it's meshuggah related.. mixed with some TOOL etc.. Lately I've been digging meshuggah big time. but tool's still my fave :)

I'm checking your band right now, the DL seems a bitch.. litle slow, but we'll get there ..
whaz with the band name by the way... smile ;)

Back