"fake" drums

prestomation

There's a production effect I have yet to understand. I've noticed the technique to be very popular in TV themes for new primetime dramas. You know, when the drums are over processed and are so fake that they are cool? It seems to be mainly EQ, but is there more to it? Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks for any advice!

its money your hearing. lol. takes a lot of time and a lot of good gear (or at least a lot of patience) to get that super slick hifi sound. what tv theme are you thinking of exactly? one of my favorite overdone drum sounds on a tv theme is the daily show with john stewart on comedy central. thats a badass drum sound.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the sound you are referring too (Not sure which sound you are referring too exactly), is actually a product of digital drums (I.e. Roland V-Drums or similar). I have noticed a tendency towards over-compressed drum sounds on TV. Perhaps this is what you are referring too???

A bit OT, but one of my fav's was electric drums through a distortion box, into a gutiar amp. crazy huge powerful drum sound ala Beatie Boys check your head era.

Daav

Atterion said:
OOOH!!!!! Holy 1980's :D

The thing is, you hear that all over the place in TV production. They use it slightly differently, but there that sound is. They seem to take a string section, mix it with West African rhythms, an 808, and end the whole thing with those 80s single head toms at the end fo the theme BUM BUM!

However, to answer the original question... an example would sure help things so we aren't all guessing.

yes

prestomation said:
There's a production effect I have yet to understand. I've noticed the technique to be very popular in TV themes for new primetime dramas. You know, when the drums are over processed and are so fake that they are cool? It seems to be mainly EQ, but is there more to it? Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks for any advice!

I totally hear you. I think there's a musical principal that states if you hear it on TV or radio, it's ok, but on homerecording.com or other DIY music site, you can't have drums that sound even remotely programmed unless it's rap. I have spent hours programming only to have someone say "those toms sound canned." It's like people want to find the fake thread to pull on. However, you turn on the radio, and there's ultra-simple stupid drum loops that are obviously fake, but people don't bat an eye.

I agree with the one dude that said try the beastie boys thing - it's basically an F-you to how it should sound, and just do what feels right. Like I'm starting to fuse hiphop phat beats with metal guitar. Screw it, who cares. People will love to say "nice drums" sarcastically but if that's the effect I'm going for, screw em. I say it's even more foolish to spend weeks trying to make something sound real out of something that's not. What are supposed to be, magicians? Wow, I really fooled you! You thought I had REAL drums! I'm David f-ing Copperfield!

Back