Electronic percussion, or the real deal.

jaykeMURD

I sit on you.
I'm looking into expanding my drumset to accomodate more world percussion. My band does a lot of softer, acoustic stuff, and plain-jane drums don't cut it. So congas, bongos, djembes, timbales, shakers, tambourines, etc. are some of the things I'd like to add. Keep in mind, I'm looking to kinda "fuse" my rhythms; straight-forward rock with soft/folk rock, with a touch of pop flair. I want to throw a drum solo and combine the basic sounds of my toms, kick, snare, and cymbals with the alternative percussion sounds. Don't want to overpower, but want to sit in the mix well.

Ok, enough description.

I don't want a gigantic set. I'm looking more towards a live setup at this point. I'll worry about recording later. So I've been thinking, what would be better. The real deal (congas, bongos, etc.), or electronic? By electronic I mean, a nice drum module with multiple triggers and/or pads. I know the electronic route will help out space-wise, but sound-wise, is it worth it?

As far as performing live, we're talking pretty small venues. If we get big enough to play out for 500+, it'll be a different story.

I think the I like the idea of the electronic route also because I'd love to not only intergrate world percussion, but "synth", samples, and other neato effects found in drum modules. I love the idea of having multiple drumsets programmed into my module, switchable with one button.

So what's the verdict?
(I know there won't be an obvious one, I just need some opinions)

I'd go down the electronic route. Sure its not the real deal but its close enough, and you'll have tons and tons of percussion sounds to use and only have to lug round a small module.

I'm really starting to consider converting to 100% electronic drums. It'd be a lot easier to manuveur (sp?), easier to record, and would allow me to make many many more sounds, and a varitey, which I love!

Well being as where you want to add the synth type sounds, then it is almost a given that you need electronics. I'd say start there, then add "Real Percussion" as needed (If the electronic stuff doesn't quite cut it, or money and space allows further growth).

electric is expensive and IMO does not cut it in sound. i used an electric for smaller gigs and where volume and space were an issue for a while but it just lacks to much, i went back in to sqeezing in and playing quiet in those situations. i dont use the electric for anything more than late night practices now

I would definately go electronic if you are just adding on to an acoustic set. But I recommend against going all electronic. Nothing beats a good ol real drumset be it live or recording.

I used a V-drum live for ages & every so often the kick would miss or double beats (admittedly the more recent kits are a lot better)

I like knowing that if you hit the pedal & a sound will come out that is like a bass drum hence my use of acoustic kit for live, & percussion electronically can go any way you want..........just imagine all the drum samples you could have at your stick tips particularly if you used some sort of puter (laptop??)

basic acoustic kit with electronic perc add-on yes aye yes aye, just make sure you've got a damn good monitor for your electronics baring in mind the lows & mids can be brutal from electronic stuff

there's my 2pence for what it's worth

Back