Electronic Drums

The Yamaha DXExpress is $1000. The Roland TD6 is about $1200. Both have rubber pads and limited editing or signal routing but they both have good sounds.

Some people make their own e-drums with triggers and things like the Remo practise pads - I belive some people have claimed to have functional "home made e-rums for under $500..

If you are handy with a soldering iron, or don't mind learning, you can make a great sounding kit for around $1000. You would have a hard time buying one for that price that had a good module and pads that aren't rock hard. That being said, it depends on what you want to use the kit for. If you plan to play gigs then you need a good sounding module. However, if you just want to record MIDI notes or play live in your studio, you can use your computer as the module (either using softsynths or soundfornts) and use a much cheaper module.

If you provide some more info on what you want your kit to be able to do, I'd be happy to pass on more info.

Ok, in that case I'd recommend 1) a cheap sound module (aka "brain") like a Roland TD-5 or Alesis D4. Both will do a fine job generating MIDI notes to record, which you can play back with soundfonts or softsynths. If you want to spend more, the Roland TD-8 is a great module that also has "position sensing" on the snare. I'm not sure how this translates into MIDI however (maybe a pitch bend?).

As for pads, you can put togther a very nice kit for a few hundred bucks, or less if you either have some hardware already or buy used equipment. Check out electronicdrums.com. It costs $20 for a membership which then gives you access to all of their plans. A few plans are available for free.

Which plans you use will depend in part on if you are using real cymbals or otherwise micing somthing. I think the best pads for feel and cost are the modified Remo practice pads. The downside is they are noisy, so an overhead mic on cymbals would pick up the noise. If you want quieter pads, I'd build the modified rototom pads with Roland mesh heads. They are quiet, but feel spongey and take getting used to (exactly like a Roland kit).

If you decide to do the Remo pads, the plans are free. For the rototom pads, it will cost you the $20. Also, if you do the rototom pads let me know and I'll let you in on some modifications I made that I think are a big improvement over their design.

just a quick note
the position sencing on the snare translated into another note in MIDI when we recorded v-drums through TD10

cheers

Back