Which electronic drum kit should I choose?

madfresh

Yo, what's up.

I'm finally planning on buying an electronic drum kit. The criteria:

¤ I mainly wish to use it via MIDI and assign sounds from VSTi plug-ins to the various pads.

¤ I would like to have something with a feel as close to an acoustic kit as possible.

¤ My budget is around $1400.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thankful for help.

Yo, what's up.

I'm finally planning on buying an electronic drum kit. The criteria:

¤ I mainly wish to use it via MIDI and assign sounds from VSTi plug-ins to the various pads.

¤ I would like to have something with a feel as close to an acoustic kit as possible.

¤ My budget is around $1400.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thankful for help.

I have a set of Hart Dynamics that I like.

Last edited:
I was a formerly recent owner of a DM Pro kit, DM Pro brain with pads manufactured by Hart (Acupad series). The heads felt good, but then played the V-Pro or whatever it is called at Guitar Center...you know, the $5600 model of the Roland line. The drum pads felt and responded the best I have played, but I was not at all impressed with the TD20 brain sound, only its convenience/versatility. The mesh heads felt better than anything I can describe, but the whole kit is way out of your budget. I would say look at the Pintech or Hart pads(I think with the Roland "stage" series you have to buy the kit or piece the drums together, which is going to be a little pricey, otherwise I would recommend those from experience in playing and hearing them)....just make sure they are double mesh heads, the latest craze in trigger pads from a few years back. I don't know the specific moderately priced models out right now, and quite frankly couldn't recommend them from experience (haven't played the latest Hart or Pintech, but the lower cost "stage kit" roland mesh drums felt very nice, Simmons pads sucked, new Alesis pads were not great, Yamaha pads....they still fell and respond like pads, but not terrible on the DTXtreme kit), but I think you'll probably good a good set of trigger pads for $1,400. In my opinion, a used Roland "stage" series of pads would be the ideal setup for you with a cheap brain that has MIDI I/O.

Simman

Yeah, Ok. I see.

Seeker of Rock

That sounds decent.

By the way, how do you mean "double mesh heads"?

Thanks for your advice and response!:)

Back