Electric drum kits - recording in an apartment

diotron

Hello there, sorry for my second post (ever) being so long, but I'm wondering how all of you stand on electric kits.

I think I'm hooked on e-drums...

For my newfound apartment life, there was absolutely no question as to whether not I'd be able to use acoustic instruments - it just wasn't going to happen. I had to resign to playing the acoustic classical guitar I've got during the day only, I'd still be stuck programming drums instead of getting back on a real kit, and it looked like it would be that way for a while. This was until somebody mentioned electric drums to me last month.
The last time I played electric drums, they were a joke. It was like sitting there pounding away on plastic that made all these roto-retro-tom noises, big bashing snares, and all these cheesy noises. I'd already been drumming for years, and this was like a novelty item. Fast forward a chunk of years to a month ago, and there I was pondering on whether or not the big companies had chosen to develop their electric drums. I checked around online and read all the reviews, day in and day out for about two weeks straight before finally heading down the music store and asking to test drive one. People were saying these drums had come a long way.

I sat down expecting to hear bashing snares, all kinds of extraneous reverbs and flangers all mucking up the sound. I expected clicky toy pads, cheesy cymbal noises. Basically I was expecting to hit it a few times and walk right back out, still stuck on my apartment noise conundrum.

To my surprise, about 45 minutes had gone by before I stopped playing. I went to the bank, cashed a paycheck and dropped the whole thing on a downpayment for the kit.

Here's my breakdown on pros and cons with these things and how they relate specifically to recording in an apartment:

Pros:
1. Noise: Non-intrusive acoustic noise. It's going to sound like you're wailing on a practice pad from outside your apartment.
2. Functions: Mulitiple acoustic and electric drum kits. These companies have put a ridiculous focus on acoustic set sounds - all the way down to the number of noises you can pull out of a hi-hat at different open and closed stages...on higher level kits, you can actually raise the pitch of the hi-hat by pressing harder on the pedal, just like with a real set. Cymbals are chokable, rims are 'shot-able' and 'click-able' as well. Buzz rolls and open strokes are usually captured pretty well (seen cons).
3. Portability: Quick setup. Most kits take only 10 to 15 minutes to set up...there's no adjusting for humidity or temperature on the drum heads. You've already got your Outs heading straight to the soundboard, and all your drums are already mixed with internal ambience - basically, if you're on a stage, it's a quick bit of equalization from the sound guy and you're golden. If you're in an apartment, same deal.
4. Sizing: Small footprint in a cramped space. Real sets have boom stands, mic stands, larger playing areas (see Cons), etc. Most of these electrics are all on a single rack, cymbals included. It's typically a lot narrower than a full set, and lighter too.

Cons:
1. Noise: feel of the drum pads is not like the feel of real drum heads. We're talking rubber here. On most entry-level kits, the pads are just that: rubber. On high/mid level kits, you'll find mesh heads that really mimic the acoustic head feel, but you'll also be sacrificing the quiet aspects of an electric set.
2. Electric drums are not acoustic drums, and no matter how hard these companies have tried, it's very hard to duplicate every aspect of a real drum sound. There are ambient noises and things with a sweet-sounding, well-mixed acoustic kit that just can't carry over into electrics. Also, on any electric set, you'll usually be able to outrun the 'brain' if you start laying down buzz rolls or high speed open-stroke rolls...then again, this might just be the pad I was trying - perhaps more high-end pads are better with sensitivity at those speeds.
3. Oh yes, they're very portable, but also kind of flimsy. Remember, it's all electronics. The pads might survive a few drops better than your curly maple toms, but if you screw up the module - the brain - the most expensive part - you're done. They also shake a bit more than an acoustic set, and you can feel it in the head response as a result.
4. On most entry level kits, all your pads are the same size. This isn't true for real sets...you're used to aiming at a direct spot on your number 1. acoustic tom, and being able to just kind of reach over and smack the floor tom without looking, because of its size. Most of these electric pads will require you to really focus on a single, much smaller target. This is only a formality, as you should probably be pretty accurate on where you hit your heads anyway, no matter where they're at. It does, however, add a challenge for newer players who haven't trained their hands to be consistent, and this can be enough to drive people away - not to mention adding to the 'toy' feel.

All in all, I'm still sticking to my guns - if you're stuck in a small space, a mandatory quiet place, or need something ideal for solo recording projects, I think an electric is a great way to go. (choose your own brand though---I don't like mentioning brand names in forum posts)

--diotron---

I have a set of electric drums. They are Yamaha DS-10s. They rock it pretty good. Now I trigger samples from a akai sampler with them. It's pretty trick.

Back