Drums triggered, how to record cymbals?

projector

Hello!

I'm not sure if I should have posted this in the Recording Techniques forum, but this is, after all, drums related. :)

The last few days I've been musing about using triggers to record drums (well, hits) at home and record cymbals in a proper studio with good room acoustics, but I don't know if this is altogether possible or wise. I know it's possible to move the cymbal hits around so that they certainly are hit at the right time; it's the procedure of recording them (fast hi-hat beats, for example) that I'm worried of. What kind of results would this method yield?

Secondly, using e-drums / Drumagog / Sound Replacer. How well do they equate with live playing? I've heard good things about Drumagog, and even downloaded the demo version and played around with it (seems really effective), but I don't have any drums only -takes on my HD so I couldn't test it properly on cymbals. I don't see why it wouldn't work with single hits, but again it's the fast hi-hat and or ride beats that worry me.

The meaning of all these plans (ideas more like) is our limited recording budget. Since I have a decent computer and some experience with sequencers such as Cakewalk (and a huge urge to get more familiar with MIDI), I figured it'd give us extra studio time if I recorded the drums at home and then used the studio's drum modules for the sounds (or even recorded our own samples). After all, I'm not a clockwork drummer who is able to pound each song in on one take in perfect time. Hell, I've never even tried playing along click-track, and we play fast, rhytmic metal. :(

Dubbing in cymbals (recording them after the drum tracks) has been done many times. Here are some key things to keep in mind.

1. When recording the drum parts - leave room for the cymbals
By this I mean - at the end of a drum roll, a drummer may accent a cymbal crash with a kick drum - but normally would not also play a snare note.

2. When playing hi-hat or ride patterns leave room for the snare
Such as - is you are playing 1/16 notes on the hi-hat (a "disco beat") leave a space on the 2 and 4 for the snare.

I gues what I'm saying (and I learned this the hard way) think out the parts in advance so the end reult sounds like a drummer with only 2 hands and 2 feet played the parts.

Dubbing in cymbals (recording them after the drum tracks) has been done many times. In fact it is common to add live ride and hi-hat to " programmed drums to add a human factor.

Here are some key things to keep in mind.

1. When recording the drum parts - leave room for the cymbals
By this I mean - at the end of a drum roll, a drummer may accent a cymbal crash with a kick drum - but normally would not also play a snare note.

2. When playing hi-hat or ride patterns leave room for the snare
Such as - is you are playing 1/16 notes on the hi-hat (a "disco beat") leave a space on the 2 and 4 for the snare.

I gues what I'm saying (and I learned this the hard way) think out the parts in advance so the end reult sounds like a drummer with only 2 hands and 2 feet played the parts.

So this is somewhat common, eh?

Thanks, mikeh. I guess I better plan every fill & roll beforehand, then. Usually I just play what feels right, but that wouldn't work if I'm going for this option.

I do it.....

I put down the bass and snare and then I close mic my hi hats with an SM57.... and play it..

Then I do every cymbal and ride sperately and miked with a '57 from about 2 feet above the center pointing directly down.

Lots of people will dispute this method, but unfortunately for them I have proof it works....

It's here....
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/rockpop/voxvendor/singles

All these drums and cymbals were done this way barring the last song (bottom of the list)

The Ride that starts in the 3rd bar of the intro of "Nothing to Hide" turned out great with this method....

Oh, and an easy way to work it out in your head is....

Do 2 cymbals, and 1 ride....

Cymbal #1 hits over top of the bass drum always.... Cymbal #2 hits over top of a snare always....

Then you'll never risk hitting 2 cymbals on the same spot

Oh and don't overplay.

Back