Drum tutorials or help?

Nightfire

Aspiring Idiot
Hi, I have recently adquired a drum set for the purpose of learning how to play.
I play keys, bass and guitar but really want to learn how to play drums. The main reason is that I dont want to used canned drums on my songs, and dont want to pay a session player or anyone else for that matter to play. Plus, drums are fun:D
Heres the deal. I have no professional instruction, I just started playing (for about a week or two now). I have the basics 4/4 and 3/4 time signatures down.
But when it comes to doing more complicated stuff I get lost. Somehow my right foot can only kick on straight measures.
Ex. no problem playing on 1,2,3,4
However, I cant play the kick on 1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a....only on 1,2,3,4 if that makes any sense whatsoever.
Are there good practice methods, online tutorials or tips/tricks/anything you can recomend to get my right and my left foot completely independent of each other?

Mike

Hey mike.

I just joined.

I am kinda doing the same thing. I bought a vintage Mapex kit for the session
players to use in my little studio. I'm a guitar player but thought I'd give the drums a try myself.

So...I'm watching a lot of youtube videos and other stuff. I practice an hour
a day. First thing was to get my arms and legs working right. I've got basic beats down, so I now am trying fills. As soon as I have something down, I try
something else that's harder that I can't do.

I'm gettin there. I imagine it will be a while before I can track stuff that sounds even halfway good. But I think drums are much quicker to learn than guitar.

Les

Back