Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drum sampler through effects processor?

Thanks

Drum sampler through effects processor?

Sign in to disable this ad
    First of all i just wanted to know if it's even "doable" to plug a drum sampler (alesis dm5 for example) through an effects processor (Ensonic DP/4 for example).

And if this works, will i get like : a snare sound with delay? or a bass drum sound with distortion? just to name what i THINK will happen.

im asking this because im getting an alesis dm5 for my acoustic triggers and 1 electronic trigger on my kit, and i want to know if i should get an Ensonic DP/4 to get my anticipated results.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Thanks
    are you planning to run yje output of the DM5 right into the fx unit? then into whatever it is you are using to amplify/record/mixer. If you are using a mixer just run that through an aux send and bring it back in on another channel and mix wet/dry.
    If you are running the DM5 into the FX unit than make shure that the gain structure is good. and that you mix enough dry signla into the equation to give the desired effect. The DM5 is line level on the output so it should work.
    Peter Miller

Thanks
    Peter is right - you really do need a mixer to do it right, but yes - it will work.

Tim

Thanks
    I do have a mixer, Allen & Heath...but anyways, as for the whole "Physically Plugging Stuff" part, i'm completely lost...

actually, im not really thinking about that right now cause im still waiting to have everything in front of me first, but the thought is always lingering in my head and it's quite scary actually...

ok, you guys said it will work, but what if i want , for example, delay on snare, and reverb on bass drum and something else on my electronic trigger...would this be possible?

Thanks again

Thanks
    Okay, here's how you hook it up:

The effect unit gets connect to the effects send/return loop.

Mixer effect send/output -> effect unit input

effect unit output -> either the mixer effect return, or into one of the channels of the mixer.

That's only possible if the effect unit has several channels and can process them all at once.

Normally - you MAY be able to process two different channels with two different effects - depending upon the unit. I'm not familir with the unit you are buying, but the odds are the most you'll be able to get out of it - is two effect channels, say reverb on one side, and delay on the other.

Normally, you don't want delay on a drum - but I'm not sure what kind of music you're doing, so this may just be something you want to experiment with.

Tim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Brown
    Mixer effect send/output -> effect unit input

effect unit output -> either the mixer effect return, or into one of the channels of the mixer.
    where does the sampler go?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RVLVNGDRS
    where does the sampler go?
    What sampler?

The Dm5? The Dm5 is a soundmodule, but not a sampler.

You would plug the 4 outputs of the Dm5 into 4 channels of the mixer.
    Then you would attach the triggers on your drums to the appropriate inputs of the Dm5.

Tim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RVLVNGDRS
    ok, you guys said it will work, but what if i want , for example, delay on snare, and reverb on bass drum and something else on my electronic trigger...would this be possible?
    Absolutely. Just get an effects unit that has like four to six separate processing engines and you're set.

Tim Brown is right about the setup, delay etc. You will likely use reverb on your drum sounds, flange if you want your tracks to sound like Kashimir. If you have a couple of different effects processing units (and most units have the ability to process two separate effects simultaneously...like two effects in one box) you can add different types of reverb to different drum components...warm room to a snare or rich plate to a kick, etc. A little $$$ to do this if you are using decent effects processors, though, unless you already have them or have a nice chunk of change burning a hole in your pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Bob View Post
    I do this for a living and I wouldn't choose to use a POS over any of my other 14 guitars

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Brown
    What sampler?

The Dm5? The Dm5 is a soundmodule, but not a sampler.

You would plug the 4 outputs of the Dm5 into 4 channels of the mixer.
    Then you would attach the triggers on your drums to the appropriate inputs of the Dm5.
    oh ya sorry...i think i called it a "sampler" cause i saw that it has a high "sample rate" or something....sorry bout that

ok well here's another thing...i wanted to use that trick that Tim said a while ago where you plug the acoustic triggers into the "Key Inputs" of the compressor to control the gate...how would i go about plugging the triggers into the compressor (DBX1066) as well as plugging them into the DM5?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker of Rock
    Absolutely. Just get an effects unit that has like four to six separate processing engines and you're set.
    does anyone have any good suggestions? 300$-500$????

Thread Information