The drum recording you hate the most

fakeness

Let's talk about the drum recording u hate the most(anything since 90's)

First....I hate Jet's drum recording ....
the high hat and crush are so mezzy and the snare is characterless
all i hear is BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM~
Do you guys know what they done wrong?

Second...U2....i like their earier recording better....their recently drum recording sounds like drum machine, and the drum is too quiet...(Big Contrast to Jet), and plus, i can't hear the snare sometime...(i knew they did it in purpose, but i don't like it....)

i think many new band or underground band compress their drum way too much...ends up sounding so mezzy :o

Hmmm. I would have to say 'White Room' by Cream. That was a good example of using fine studio equipment to make 'cardboard box' drums. I would also have to say 'Third Stage' by Boston. I think the drum tracks were made in the 50's.

Most any newer stuff only has bad drum tracks if it is intentional.

Alan White (Yes) has been let down on occasion with milestone albums such as Relayer (where his playing is exemplary) and Going For The One: his drums just sound thin when they should have been huge, given their musical context. And don't get me started on more recent albums!

Boston

It's sad that It took eight years to get the drums that way
on third stage.How about the best recording? :D

my favour........

I PICK DREAMTHEATER's recording in 1997...not earier one , not the recently one............. :cool:
It's perfect compress and EQ to me...Clean and powerful punch

Maroon 5 sounds cool to me (This Love)
nice bass kick pumping and clean

OH!, Fefe Dobson's Take Me Away and Bye Bye Boyfriend recording....even though...she is not a good "LIVE vocal", but i got to give creadits on the recording, it's a master pieces on recording.
:D

Brand X - Unorthodox Behaviour

The LP version sounded good in its day - has a real 'in your room' immediacy about it. This might be a gem to remaster, if the original tapes could be had. Phil Collins in his place and at his best: behind a drum kit.

Primus-The Brown Album.
Drummer-Brain (now of new GNR)
I didn't now how good the songs were until I heard the live versions of the them. The dum recording is so bad that you don't even know you're hearing good music(if that makes any sense).

worst...well sadly listening back to parts of Melon Collie & the Infinite Sadness and Siamese Dream....some of the drums a mixed very thin, and pushed waaaay back in the mix...sounding rather midi...which is a shame because jimmy is an excellent drummer...

Best, I always really liked the drums on In Utero by Nirvana...definitely great live feel and room sound, and just a great album all around. Relationship of Command by At the Drive-In is pretty kickass too...

hmmm....

alright, now, normally i would not say this, but are you retarted???? I mean what the fuck? The drum sounds on those albums are fucking awsome!!! what is wrong with you??!??

First I must say I love Pink Floyd.

I nominate "THE GRAND VIZIER'S GARDEN PARTY" from Ummagumma.

nascentjunkie said:
alright, now, normally i would not say this, but are you retarted???? I mean what the fuck? The drum sounds on those albums are fucking awsome!!! what is wrong with you??!??

who are you refering to?

who are you refering to?

Im no rocket scientist but I am willing to bet that comment was sent in your direction Glimmer Doll. Everyone is entiltled to their opinion but how can you say that
drums a mixed very thin, and pushed waaaay back in the mix...sounding rather midi.
about Siamese dream? The drums are pushed back in places but it gives the album some dynamics and there are some great sounds on that album. Besides how can something sound MIDI? Midi isn't a sound. Triggered maybe but the drums on that album are definantly not triggered.

I vote the worst drum sound to Metallica's ST. Anger. I haven't heard anything that bad in a very long time. I know it was intentional but its total krap.

robin watson said:
Alan White (Yes) has been let down on occasion with milestone albums such as Relayer (where his playing is exemplary) and Going For The One: his drums just sound thin when they should have been huge, given their musical context. And don't get me started on more recent albums!

You beat me to it! I can't stand to listen to much Yes after Alan White joined. Half of the problem was his studio sound. F#%king terrible studio drum sound for that style of music.

Wireneck said:
Im no rocket scientist but I am willing to bet that comment was sent in your direction Glimmer Doll. Everyone is entiltled to their opinion but how can you say that about Siamese dream? The drums are pushed back in places but it gives the album some dynamics and there are some great sounds on that album. Besides how can something sound MIDI? Midi isn't a sound. Triggered maybe but the drums on that album are definantly not triggered.

I vote the worst drum sound to Metallica's ST. Anger. I haven't heard anything that bad in a very long time. I know it was intentional but its total krap.

yeah that comment was more about melon collie than siamese dream...but i do notice now how far back the drums are in the mix of some of the songs on both those albums

there is one song in particular on melon collie...i can't think of which one...but the drums are ridiculously far back in the mix, and they sound thin, like general midi drums on some shitty soundcard...

perhaps i feel safer singling out the pumpkins, because they're like my favourite band...first band i ever saw live, and i love all their albums, especially siamese & melon collie...

but yeah...ok, I can agree with the st anger comment...those, yeah those probably are the worst sounding drums i've ever heard...sounds like someone thought it would be cool to use a kit made out of garbage cans so they can be "hardcore" because it sounds "aggressive" & "raw" (ie it sounds like shit)

I second "Airbag". It's wonderful to hear dynamics on drums.

And don't pick on Alan White too much, it's not his fault he's not Bill Bruford.

Worst drum production would be Blind Faith's "Can't Find My Way Home". Honestly, I have ZBTs that sound better than that. And anything produced by Phil Spector.

I heard somewhere that they spent a whole month miking and working on St. Angers' drum sounds. I guess that could be understandable, if you have an amazing drum sound, but the drums on that are just fuckin' disgusting man (espesh the snare - ughh).

I guess it puts more evidence behind 'the most important part of the recording sound is the quality of the player.'

Its funny to hear Hetfield (the singer/guitarist?) talk about how he has to keep the rhythm, as Lars' drumming is affected by his frequently changing attitude, and if Hetfield speeds up or slows down, the whole rhythm does too.

O Lars.

On the other hand...

Radiohead. Every part of everything they have done (just about) is perfect. In The Bends, you can really here the room sound (espesh in the beginning of High and Dry). But then with OK Computer, it is just so clean, so perfect (what did they do in Airbag to get that sound?). Radiohead is just amazing.

Back