Drum programming

MattNZ

Currently I'm using loops from Drums On Demand. These are great, but sometimes it's difficult to get the exact sound you want 'cos the sets with the right groove have the wrong sound. I can normally sort this out to some extent in the mix, but it would be nice to start with a decent sound in the first place.

A friend recently gave me a copy of Drum Kit From Hell 2 and says it’s the mutt’s nuts and he can't tell them apart from real drums. I’m a bit dubious. Sure, the sounds are good, but what about the feel – is that sacrificed? Are there any drum editors out there that can help with this?

I’ve heard EZ Drummer is worth checking out.

my opinion...
EZ Drummer &the DFH expansion are wonderful!!! the sounds are very good and since they were recorded from live drums, they do indeed sound like a live drum kit.
as far as your question about the feel of the sounds... EZ Drummer has a couple of things to help out. 1) a button called "Humanize". this takes the notes and randomly makes certain ones louder & softer, the same as an actual drummer. 2) you can change the volume of each note. this is very helpfull with snare rolls, hi-hats, and cymbal control. there are a few other things that help out with the sounds as well.
having played drums for over 10 years, i can honestly say that it is very much like having an actual kit (you can even change the pieces for several items).

my advice... try it out. if it doesn't work for what you do, try another program such as BFD.

Yeah, ezdrummer does sound really good. The 'humanize' feature will fool ppl hook line and sinker. I've spent my whole life trying to program drums on midi keyboards, drum machines, you name it, never been happy with anything. I have a set of v-drums I record with, the ezdrummer samples are way better than what's in my module. Lately I've been recording the midi too, and running it thru ezdrummer afterwards, it's the best drum sound I've ever had yet. Real drumming with the ezd samples is the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Back