drum mics! i need advice!

episg

hey. i need some advice on how to mic my drums, with what mic's etc. its a standard 5 piece, and i'm on a tight budget. Thanx

Read this thread in it's entirety:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=39030&highlight=mic+technique

That should give you plenty of info on what to do, and where to start. I've been using a slight variation on this setup (I use 4 mics - 2 overheads, 1 snare, 1 kick) and it gives a far, far better sound in a quicker setup time than any other micing setup I've tried before. If you're on a tight, TIGHT budget, you can usually get away with just 2 overheads, with some careful positioning and trial/error.

Good luck!

yeah sounds pretty good. Any ideas of makes/models for the mic's?I was thinking an sm57 on the snare (if budget allows). If not i could maybe use one of my behringer xm1800's. Thanks for your help.

I use a 57 on the snare, a 58 in the kick (haven't been able to pick up a "dedicated" kick mic yet) and my overheads are a Nady pencil condender and an MXL 990 medium diaphragm condenser. Obviously, I've been doing it "on the cheap" too :-) But it works well using the 3 mic technique I linked to, since the overheads aren't being used as a stereo pair.

Even lower end mics will work well with good positioning and a decent room - it won't be pro quality but it'll be more than listenable. Experiment with what you've got, move the mics around, and make sure your drums are tuned well, preferrably with new heads. Even the best mics in the world and compression, eq, reverb, etc can't make a crappily tuned kit sound good :-)

I may be getting a Flats style drum kit (traps), dependant on what the drummer wants to do, will this same method work?
Cheers

2 Oktava MC 012 on the overheads and a kick (ATM25). Even though I mic and track all my drums, more often that not, all I end up using are the overheads and kick..

not worth getting a cheap mic set? Ive seen some on www.thomann.de but was worried about whether its worth the bother? or just keeping the budget down by getting seperate mic's?

O/H's - AT 4041s / Oktava 012s (what I don't use, I put up for HH/Ride)
Room- modded Apex 460
Kick1 - D112 / 421
Kick2 - NS10 subkick
Snare - SM57
Tom1 - 421
Tom2 - 421
(2nd floor tom - e609)

Cheers,
-LIMiT

episg said:
not worth getting a cheap mic set? Ive seen some on www.thomann.de but was worried about whether its worth the bother? or just keeping the budget down by getting seperate mic's?
The Thomann stuff is cheap, yes, but certainly cheerful. I "acquired" a set of their real cheap pencil condensers a while back, and they're great for overheads - sepecially considering the price. They're self-noisy as hell, so it's about all you CAN use them for, but at the prices they charge, it's still a great deal.

Of course, there's always the trusty and hugely cheap Behringer ECM 8000s...

Back